[Vision2020] 5/13/2005 Daily News: City code prohibits downtowncollege, board says; If order stands, NSA could be forced to move

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri May 13 19:09:40 PDT 2005

Saundra,

Below the line is the Daily News policy on use of their news stories, opinions, etc. and also the applicable federal law (reposted for the umpteen time).

One need not fear poor pathetic Dale Courtney.  His web-blot provides convincing evidence of its author's desperate, lifelong, and ultimately unsuccessful struggle with toilet training.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

Wayne,

You or others in the community are welcome to post Daily News items on V2020.  There are only a couple rules.  One, it's an accurate copy. And, two, complete attribution is provided.

That's it.

Best regards, Nathan.

  Nathan,

  It has been a practice of several Vision 2020 posters to post either snippets from Daily News articles or in some cases the entire article.  Most of these postings are comment items but occasionally a news item is posted.

  Those of us doing such have assumed, perhaps in error, that we were entitled to do this under the provisions of the fair use clauses of the copyright law.  The purpose of V 2020 is to generate community discussion on a wide variety of issues, many of them local.

  My question to you is this:  Is it alright for V 2020 contributors to occasionally post items from the Daily News?  If not, do you have any protocol that we should go through first if we want to post?

  Thank you for your attention.

  Wayne

   A. Fox
  waf at moscow.com
  PO Box 9421
  Moscow, ID 83843
  208 882-7975

  Repost on copyrights:
  http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

        § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

        Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include-
        (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
        (2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
        (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
        (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
        The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.