[Vision2020] idaho school cuts violin program

hayfields at moscow.com hayfields at moscow.com
Tue May 10 21:28:14 PDT 2005

While I disagree with Pat on her take on the importance of music
education, ( and nearly everything else), and I believe that the "No
Child Left Behind Act is one of the most detrimental pieces of
legislation ever to hit US Education, the ONE section of it I ever could
get behind was the "highly qualified" teacher aspect.  Having suffered
throughout high school with a series of "teachers" whose degree was in a
one subject area and yet who ended up teaching me English, Social Studies
and just about anything else the high school could find for them to
do.... in between coaching the important stuff like football and
basketball. I'm a little sour on the 'if you can teach one class you can
teach any class approach.  Then later to watch my own children struggle
with locally hired 'professionals' who were incredible, talented, and
committed musicians, artists, athletes- but not in many cases, teachers,
I am selfish enough to want it all! Teachers in the classroom that know
their stuff and are equipped to deal with what the kids- and parents dish
out!  There has to be a happy medium, but give me that structure and
certification over luck of the draw any day.
Heather Jordan