[Vision2020] Time Travel To The Future is Real

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Fri May 6 18:52:18 PDT 2005

Donovan et. al.

You are right Debbie, despite what I took to be your sarcasm:  Einstein's Theory of Relativity is a lot of fun to talk about.

Donovan, time travel is not just a possibility, but a verified scientific fact.  According to the time dilation equation from Relativity, if you travel fast enough for long enough relative to another object that you left behind in your journey, let's say the Earth, you can return to the Earth and in effect have traveled into the Earth's future.  If you blast off on a spaceship with a clock that is set to exactly the same time as a duplicate clock on Earth, when both clocks function perfectly, and travel very fast for long enough, if you return to Earth the two clocks will read different times.  They both are correct.  But each clock was functioning in a different area of space/time.  A human who left behind their identical twin on Earth to travel in a very fast spaceship for a number of years will return to Earth to find their twin much older than they are, assuming both twins age at the same rate.  Just like the clocks kept time perfectly, both twins were aging at the same !
 rate, but were living in different space/time areas.

A spaceship can thus become a time traveling machine to travel into the future.  If our species survives for another millennia or two, we may send ships to nearby star systems.  The occupants, even if the ship is multi generational, will know that when they return they will view an Earth that is far further into Earth's future that they would have been able to view had they remained on Earth, or had been born on earth, instead of on a starship.

I'd provide a link for a reference to the time dilation equation from Relativity, but anyone can Google it.

Ted Moffett