[Vision2020] Re: Schizophrenic

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 10:06:46 PDT 2005

"who was once our resident schizophrenic."--Joan Opyr

This is the third time in the last few months that I
have heard the term "schizophrenic" used in a
derogatory manner.

Let me explain something to people that do this and
obviously do not know people struggling with it.
Schizophrenia is a REAL mental illness. It has nothing
to do with split personality. Nor does it strike
people because they are bad people. It is caused by
the slow deterioration of parts of the brain. There is
no cure for it. It is a mental illness that is very
challenging to those that have it.

Many thousands of families have to deal with the pain
and mental anguish of watching someone close to them
get worse and worse and not being able to do anything
about it. It is even worse when you watch it in
children and young adults.

I do not care your background, education, or
experience. When you use the term schizophrenic in a
derogatory and offense term you are hurting more then
just the person you are targeting and publicly
humiliating many people with a real disability that is
life threatening and challenging.

I ask that people to please STOP doing this.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

--- "joanopyr at earthlink.net" <joanopyr at earthlink.net>