[Vision2020] Board of Trustee Minutes--reply to Phil

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Sun May 1 15:50:41 PDT 2005

Donovan:
I guess if an organization intends to use its minutes as an
information tool, then I agree with you--it probably needs to
expedite an "unofficial" approval process and get the minutes posted
even before the next meeting, subject to official approval at the
next meeting.
But, as I said in an earlier post, I think one of the big problems
with the bond issue was the failure of District leadership to provide
a consisitent, rapid-response information source for questions and
issues that arose once the bond was announced.  I should also
acknowledge that the District received an award for its openness to
public participation and comment during the entire process--and yet
there were still questions that deserved answers.
I can certainly understand why someone would want to read the
minutes, but it really isn't that unusual for an organization to take
60 days to even approve minutes, let alone get them posted.  You will
note the minutes of the April 11 meeting (and I believe there was
also an April 19 special meeting) are not yet posted either--whether
they have been approved or not.
Certainly the "next time" the District is fairly warned that some
members of the public would like more immediate posting of
significant information.
Mike