[Vision2020] School Levy (was Adolescent Humor)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Mar 31 16:12:45 PST 2005

MessageDan, et el,

Like Dan, I have not made a decision yet on the bond.  I lack enough information at this point to do so.

However, worry about sprawl is not a big factor for me.  Moscow has been generally growing east and north for some time.  While it is true that the city council needs to consider some serious infill strategies, whether the HS is located where it is now proposed or not will not stop more development from occurring to the east.

I think it generous of the Trail family to donate the land.  Regardless of where the HS could be otherwise cited, acquiring the land could be a huge expense, perhaps $250,000 - $400,000 (I'm open to have this estimate corrected.)

With one exception I have voted for every school bond levy in the 15 years we have lived here this time.  I voted 'No' once to send a message as Janice in an antecedent post suggests.

I am still disturbed about the lack of a proper acknowledgement, strong condemnation, and an apology from the school district for promoting racism, discrimination, and fiscal irresponsibility by supporting with our tax dollars the Moscow Chamber of Commerce -- the Robert E. LEE fiasco and the non-apology blame-it-on-the-critics statement from Paul Kimmell, the string of hires of only CCC congregants including Paul Kimmell's wife, similar contracting practices, and the fiscal and fiscal reporting mess of the chamber.  The school district superintendent is an ex officio member of the MCC board.  I expected more social and fiscal responsibility on her part and that of the school board.

Failure to strongly condemn these MCC actions and de facto policies and to withhold membership dues until these problems are clearly and demonstrably corrected tells me the school district is not as sensitive to these matters as it should be, in my opinion.  Such laxity also makes me wonder if the schools and school district might also have some of the same problems -- racism, favoritism, lack of fiscal oversight.  I know that I am not alone in having these questions.  I hope the school district can take some strong actions (not just some fluffy PR spin) before the bond election to demonstrate that such fears are most likely groundless.

Public education is very important.  It is very important to have facilities that promote successful learning of those skills needed to be taught in today's world.  It very is important to pay teachers and staff fairly and to reward the exceptionally successful.  In return I expect not only quality education but social responsibility also.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com