[Vision2020] Budget Reductions

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:08:06 PST 2005

Ron, Tom, and Wayne,

I think we have to all look at the big picture here. While Ron is correct
about the dedication of fees, Ron how do you think morale is affected on
campus by putting down a new turf as we slash jobs while saying "There is no
money to pay you.”? This is probably not the YEAR to do that. What ever
gains were made by getting some students to come to UI because we have a new
turf were lost because quality employees do not like to work at universities
that spit in their face.

Second, I think the community has been lied too as well. The Administration
said they were going to cut $2,000,000 from administration. They did not.
The $109,000 they are cutting is obviously coming from the $110,000 position
previously held by Wayland Winstead. Instead of making the cuts, they are
passing them almost entirely to the Facilities Department. Why cut unneeded
upgrades to your computer that you do not even know to use when you can
destroy the life and family of a custodian instead, right?

What is also frustrating is that the students paid about $3 million to help
fund construction of the new Facilities Building and now it is not going to
even be used to the extend that it should. Perhaps we can move the
Administration out to that building and use the Administration Building for
more classroom space.

People should be insulted by the behavior of the University. The
Administration's decision to use a "Who will get voted off the department?"
approach by forcing the departments to pick the person to eliminate leaves
lasting resentments and destroys personal relationships.

Also, please notice how all the blame for all the controversial decisions
was placed on Jay Kenton, who is conveniently gone to a better job elsewhere
(OSU), as though all the other Administrators were oblivious and responsible
as to what was going on? Do they think we are that stupid? They must.

The blame for lack of funding for the University falls on three groups. The
Hoover Administration, that created massive debt by overextending the
obligations of the University and misleading the public. The State
Legislature, that is unwilling to raise revenue and allocate funding for
education. And the Idaho Taxpayer, that is too stingy to pay up and fund
education. The way that the cuts are being handled is mostly the
responsibility of the current Administration. Blaming all of it on Jay
Kenton is a cowardice copout.

My sympathies are with the Facilities Management employees that are awesome
workers that have done a great deal with the little that they have been
given. They were given the shaft by the current Administration.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold