[Vision2020] 03-30-05 NY Times: When Marriage Kills

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Wed Mar 30 14:25:44 PST 2005

"Fiat" ponders some important questions about HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan
Africa.  I believe s/he is overly optimistic about the possibility of an
"effective, collective recovery," though.

24.5 million people in Africa have HIV--that's 71% of all HIV cases in the
world. Seven African countries--Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa,
Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe--have adult prevalence rates above 20%; in
Zimbabwe, it is 32%--nearly a third of all adults are HIV-positive.  African
women are considerably more likely—at least 1.2 times—to be infected with
HIV than men. Among young people aged 15-24, this ratio is highest: young
women are 2.5 times more likely to be infected than young men. 13 million
children across Africa have been orphaned by HIV, that number is expected to
rise to 15 million in the next three years.  It is the leading cause of
death among all Africans.

The U.S. Senate has proposed $800 million in aid to Africa for HIV this
year.  In comparison, we're spending $1.8 billion dollars on aid (not
HIV-related, but all aid) to Egypt, $1.7 billion in Afghanistan, $570
million in Columbia, and $560 million in Jordan.  The majority of our funds
will be going to Ethiopia (infection rate:  4.4%), Uganda (infection rate:
9%), and Kenya (infection rate: 22%).  We will not be spending money in the
seven nations with the highest infection rates.  And a full 33% of money
earmarked for prevention must be spent on abstinence campaigns.

The most effective long-term strategy for HIV-reduction, in my opinion, is
to fund universal free education for children, particularly girls,
throughout the developing world.  Economic empowerment, sexual
self-determination, and access to human rights are directly related to
education for women.

I am haunted by the knowledge that in Malawi, in Zambia, in Lesotho, at this
moment, a woman is weighing the risk of her own HIV infection and death
against her children's hunger, and choosing to sacrifice herself for $4 to
feed them.

Melynda Huskey
(Co-chair of the Palouse HIV Consortium)