[Vision2020] Is Doug Wilson a Good Calvinist?

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Mar 26 11:45:23 PST 2005

         Mike Hall has requested that I demonstrate the ways in which Doug
Wilson differs from Calvinist orthodoxy.  I've written up the following
response and will share it with all those interested in the ongoing Wilson
saga.  It's 838 words, so you may want to print it out instead, or delete
it entirely if you are not interested.
         I will defer to other conservative Presbyterians, especially the
authors of Not Reformed at All, by John W. Robbins and Sean Gerety,
published by the Trinity Foundation in 2004.  This book is a thoroughgoing
critique of Wilson's theology and it succeeds in proving that Wilson's
views are fundamentally at odds with the Westminster Confession, the
primary Calvinist statement of faith.
         Robbins and Gerety (hereafter R&G) generally characterize Wilson's
writing as containing "a facial glibness and an adolescent smart-aleckness"
(17), and they specifically charge him with rational incoherence,
eclecticism (i.e., mixing several theologies into one), misinterpreting
scripture, neglecting to define basic terms, and false accusation.
         Mr. Hall wants me to concentrate on fundamental doctrine, so let
us focus on that.  With regard to the role of scripture and tradition, R&G
argue (21-29) that Wilson undermines sola scriptura, the central doctrine
of the Protestant Reformation.  I find it unusually tolerant and
theologically interesting of Wilson to grant authority to previous church
traditions, but Luther nor Calvin made a clean break with them.  Wilson and
his followers are very liberal and promiscuous in the way they pick and
choose, but this does not make for a systematic theology in general or a
Reformed theology in particular.
Mr. Hall is very proud that he and other members of Christ Church recite
the Apostle's Creed, but R&G are scathing in their attack on the
deficiencies of this early Christian affirmation: (1) it was in no way
authorized by the Apostles; (2) it was used for political purposes; and (3)
it "omits the sine qua non of [Reformed] Christianity: justification by
faith alone, not even mentioning the substitutionary atonement of Christ" (78)
         Wilson is even more liberal when he defines what it is to be a
Christian.  Here are his very words: "A Christian. . . is anyone who has
been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by an
authorized representative of the Christian church"(Reformed is Not Enough,
19).  R&G take the three New Testament passages that Wilson uses to support
this doctrine and demonstrate conclusively that they do not support this
incredibly broad definition that does not even require continued belief in
basic Christian doctrines.  As promiscuous as ever, Wilson insists that
"unbelieving Christians" are still "covenantal Christians" (cited in R&G,
46).  To put his opposition to Luther and Calvin in the starkest
opposition, Wilson states that "the Bible says that baptism saves" and
sides with Roman Catholic theologians in denying that the Bible teaches
justification by faith alone (R&G, 82)
         Another basic doctrinal problem is Wilson's talk about corporate
souls and collective salvation that is part of his "federal vision." to
Luther and Calvin  This is the sort of theology that would excite a Hindu
Vedantist but not an orthodox Christian.  As we have heard so many times
from Wilson, democracy (one person/one vote) and individualism are the
great errors of modernism and the Enlightenment.  Theologically, this means
that there are no grounds for an individual coming to God by himself or
herself to be born again. Using Wilson's own metaphor, we are no longer
individual eggs but all those who have been baptized are an
indistinguishable part of God's Great Omelette.  R&G (74) note that Wilson
completely ignores the organic analogy that pervades the New Testament in
which each individual body part maintains its identity in the Body of Christ.
         With regard to the doctrine of the Lord's Supper, Wilson sides
with Roman Catholics once again, but, incredibly enough, argues that "the
Westminster Confession teaches that there is a real presence of Christ's
body and blood in the act of faithful eating as His Table" (Reformed is Not
Enough, 111).  The Westminster Confession actually states that Christ is
symbolically not "carnally and corporally present" in the Eucharist. Any
Presbyterian Sunday School student knows that this was a major disagreement
that both Luther and Calvin had with the Roman Church.
         Finally, in my debate with Doug Jones on the Trinity, I have come
to the conclusion that his views (and I assume Wilson's) are not consistent
with Calvin's, who is very much part of the Western tradition that has
always preferred to err on the side of modalism so as to preserve the unity
of God.  I've tried in vain to get Jones to clarify his position, but it
appears that he would rather support the Eastern Orthodox view that
emphasizes the three persons, but flirts with Tritheism in its inability to
defend divine unity.  For more see www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.
         I have gone on long enough but here is more than sufficient
evidence, Mr. Hall, for you to conclude that your pastor's theology is not
consistent with traditional Calvinism.  Indeed, it looks as if it is very
liberal and promiscuous with regard to basic Christian doctrine. I suggest
that you change your membership to a local Presbyterian church where the
pastors will have been trained at accredited seminaries in the denomination.

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm