[Vision2020] Moscow Hotspots

Tim Hillebrand chief at synergetics.org
Thu Mar 24 07:12:43 PST 2005

To supplement Donovan Arnold's list of access points in Moscow, I offer the
following that come to mind:

-Mark IV Motel
-Mark IV Restuarant
-Palouse Empire Mall
-One World Cafe
-City Hall (soon if not now)
-1912 Center
-Hamilton Lowe Athletic Center
-Moscow Schools

There are others too. All you have to do is go hotspotting with your Wi-Fi
receiver on or get a Wi-Fi finder and you will have fun discovering open
nodes around town. If you have a First Step roaming account, the whole town
is lit up virtually, and you can get online almost anywhere you can get a
strong enough signal.

What most people don't realize is that Moscow is absolutely one of the most
"enlightened" cities in the world in terms of hotspots versus population. Of
course, it begins to pale compared to cities that offer "hotzones" in which
the entire city is lit up. Spokane is a good example with 100 square blocks
downtown open for public access. I hope that Moscow would move in that
direction as well one of these days, It could happen almost instantly if the
City Council could get over the idea of fiber optics which will cost a lot
of money and shut out the citizens and local business from high speed
wireless Internet.

You are invited to read my bi-weekly column on wireless technology in the
Daily News. It's called Tim's HotSpots. Also, I would enjoy hearing from you
about your wireless experiences.

Cheers,

Tim Hillebrand