[Vision2020] Dale Courtney

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 06:46:49 PST 2005

Tim,

First, let me make clear that I am in no way defending or speaking on behalf
of Dale Courtney. However, your lack of ability to rationalize your thoughts
into anything of consistent logic is driving me to the brink of insanity.

Almost everything you say is a contradiction of your previous sentence or
action. How do you get through the day is beyond my comprehension. Nothing
you say or do has any logical function. Do you use salt on your eggs because
you want them peppered? Do you put on a sweater when you are hot and take
off your socks when cold? I mean no disrespect but this is how I view your
thinking. Are all of decisions made on emotions and not logic?

Let me give a few examples of what I mean. You attack Dale Courtney because
he complained about you in a public forum and did not write to you directly.
Is that not what you did to Christ Church by writing a public letter instead
of writing them directly? Then you said nobody reads his Blog, but you did,
so you disproved yourself a second time.

Next, you write, "First, if you disagree with my letter then in a way are
you not disagreeing with the 1st Amendment?"

No, absolutely not! There is a BIG huge giant difference between disagreeing
with someone's right to speak versus just disagreeing with the content of
the speech. This is why the 1st Amendment exists, so we CAN debate the
content of the speech and come to a just conclusion when all the ideas are
on the table. How come this fact is beyond your understanding? I can
disagree with someone's opinion that the red M&M's are better then the green
ones but still support their right to hold that opinion and express it.

Finally, your research is very narrow and results in very biased
information. You write,

"Second, do some research on the Kibbie and you will find that it was paid
for back in the 1970's with student fees and donors.  The donors donated the
money for use by the students.  To this day the facility is operated on both
student fees and athletic monies.  So I think ownership is in fact entitled
to the students."

The Kibbie Dome is supported by public dollars too. Two-thirds of the
operation costs of the Kibbie Dome are taken from the Idaho State and
Federal Taxpayers. Revenues made from the Kibbie Dome by renting out the
facility help keep student fees down. Also, because the Kibbie Dome is owned
by the ASUI, the renting rules must follow the ASUI Constitution which I
helped write when I was in student government and on the Rules and
Regulations committee in charge of that task. That Constitution was voted on
and ratified by 85% of the voting student population. It also prevents
denying people from renting the facilities based on religious content or
political opinion, which is what you are trying to do.

So Tim, by attempting to block Christ Church from using to the Kibbie Dome
you are violating the ASUI Constitution and the will of 85% of the students
that passed that rule.

I disagree with the content of Christ Church too. But it is so important
that we allow them to speak and exercise their rights under the First
Amendment, which covers the freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly, and
the freedom to petition the government for grievances. When you deny ANYONE
these fundamental rights, you are saying that they are not rights at all.
Saying that the First Amendment rights are not guaranteed to EVERYONE is to
destroy the right, and destroying the First Amendment is something that is
worse than anything coming from Christ Church.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold
Former ASUI Senator 01-03