[Vision2020] Legislative Update IX from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Mar 19 09:33:14 PST 2005

    We are going down the homestretch for this session of the Idaho
Legislature.  I suspect we will go several days past the end of next
week, but I hope to be home around April 1st.

1.  Budget  --  Final appropriation bills are being voted on.   The
Higher Education bill passed the House.   The budget was about a 2.5%
increase over last year.  Again, the trend is a downward percentage of
the total budget for Higher Education  --  now at 10.3%.   Corrections
received about a 7% increase and Medicaid a 15% increase.  Public
Education's budget came in at about $988,000,000 or a 2.2% increase.
JFAC did appropriate money to take care of the 3,500 student increase
this year and leave about $3 million in a reserve fund.

Teacher and state worker salaries are still up in the air.  Sen. Cameron
Co-Chair of JFAC is indicating that there may be a motion for a one per
cent increase but based on a surplus eliminator.  This means if we have a
big enough tax stream coming in by July 1st, then the one year one
percent increase will kick in.  If it doesn't then there will be no
increase.   Because of the lack of salary increases for state workers
over the past four years we find many state workers sinking below the
poverty level  --  qualifying for food stamps, working at one or two
other jobs.   A survey of U. of Idaho staff indicated about 20% were at
or below the poverty level last year.

2.  Failure To Attack Basic Tax and Funding Problems  --  The one cent
sales tax which brings in $180/year will sunset on July 1st.  We are at
about $120 million ahead of last year tax figures, but even the most
optimistic economists don't feel we will be able to get to the $180
million that we will need for next years budget.   It should also be
noted that we will need additional funding for student enrollment
increases, Medicaid expenses, supplemental for fire fighting, and all of
the increased needs of other agencies.

I asked Rep. Delores Crow for an opportunity to present my HB 65.  This
bill would reduce the sales tax from 6 to 4%, eliminate 10 tax
exemptions, and tax services except medical.   The Idaho Tax Commission
estimates that HB 65 would generate sufficient revenue to replace the
$180 million plus add $60 million more to State Revenues.  Earlier in the
session she gave me a one day notice to pull in all of my experts to
testify.   I said it wasn't enough time and so she said to ask her
later.  I did and she said, No.

3. $1.6 Billion Road Bill Moving Toward Passage  --  The bill passed the
Senate and will now move to the House.   There may be some resistance in
the House and some legislators who want to place a cap on the amount.

4.  Truancy Measure Signed by Governor  --  Gov. Kempthorne signed Sen.
Stegner's truancy measure into law.  The bill makes the parents of
habitual truants guilty of a misdemeanor.

5.   HJM7  --  I introduced HJM7 in the House on Monday and it passed by
a 66-0 margin.    HJM7 supports Idaho's Congressional delegation effort
to modify the Patriot Act with the SAFE Act.   This is a movement to fix
some of the worst excesses of the Patriot Act, and it is supported by a
bipartisan coalition of lawmakers and advocacy groups.   It would reverse
the FBI's ability to demand any tangible things from any business,
organization, or person without showing any existing individualized
suspicion about the person or persons they are investigating.  It would
also limit the government's ability to conduct widespread searches of
your personal information without probable cause.   The resolution now
goes to the Senate State Affairs Committee.

6.   Financial Disclosure for Political Candidates  --  With the Sen.
Noble case behind us there is more interest in the issue of requiring
financial disclosure for political candidates.   Idaho is only one of
three states that does not require candidates to provide some type of
financial disclosure.   I've circulated a legislative draft proposal that
would require candidates to provide basic financial disclosure.   The
proposal is being reviewed.

I'd like to hear about your questions and concerns.   My e mail is
ttrail at house.state.id.us and the phone is 332-1260.

Rep. Tom Trail