[Vision2020] "Leftist" Misused Term

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:00:26 PST 2005

"Conservative" and "liberal" are relative terms to the society and times a
person is living in.

There is a saying, "Today's liberal is tomorrow's conservative".

"Progressive" I think is a much better and appropriate term to use. Was the
person progressive in the development of human and societal rights or a
protector of the status quo of the time? Kennedy, MLK Jr., Jefferson, Dolly
Madison, Harriet Tubbman, Teddy Roosevelt and JFK may be either conservative
or liberal depending on what year you place them, but they were all
progressives. I think all people we look up to now, were not defenders of
the status quo, but progressives, including the men that many conservatives
admire today.

I consider myself a pragmatic progressive. That means I think we must
practice the methods that give people the most choice and freedom but it
must also work in reality, not just theory.

I think some of you are confused in the thinking that liberal and
conservatives agree in their extremes in ideology, they only agree in action
or practice.

For example; both extreme liberals and conservatives agree with stopping
trade with China, but not for the same reasons. Conservatives want to stop
trade for the protection of US jobs (as though US jobs would not go another
asian country if they stopped trade with China). Liberals want to stop trade
with China because of poor working conditions (as if removing all sources of
revenue and trade would improve human conditions in that country).

So the extremes meet, but only in practice, not in ideology.  In practice,
or in reality, their objectives would not be achieved. If trade stopped with
China, US production would go to another poor nation that has a poor human
rights record and the Chinese would be even poorer and living in worse
conditions without jobs.

The solution is to require a portion of profits from imports to go to
improving working conditions of foreign workers. That would be a pragmatic
progressive solution to the problem.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold
Political Science, B.S.