[Vision2020] Religous Organizations at UI

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 15:32:21 PST 2005

Tim,

Sorry to correct you here, but when you said the following you were
incorrect.

"What people are forgetting is that these groups are all student groups and
their
membership is based on students from UI.  These groups are acceptable to
students because students are the ones who support these groups.  Yes, the
websites are hosted by UI, but our student fees are what covers the hosting
of
these sites.  Financially, these groups are eligible for funding from ASUI,
but
again this money comes from the students and not the tax payers.  There is
an
obvious difference here."

First, not all students support all religious groups on campus. There are
many students that do not want Muslims on campus. There are many students
that do not want Christians on campus. There are many students that do not
want one dime going to any group that is formed for the purposes of
religion. There are also people that do not want groups formed to promote
the mental health of Gays and Lesbians, or any minority culture. Some do not
want money going to support athletic clubs and organizations. Most groups
are not accepted by the majority of people. But the majority tolerate the
other groups so they may have there own group.

Second, ASUI, although really small and having a budget of only about
$$700,000, it is still a real legally recognized government by the Idaho
State Government. It must comply with all the rules and laws as established
by the Idaho State Legislature in conducting there meetings and in
implementation of policy. It is the Idaho state government that charges,
collects and distributes funds for the ASUI. There is no legal separation
between what the State does and what ASUI does. ASUI is a department of the
UI, and UI is a state department of the Idaho State Government.

Third, all student organizations (religious or not) do not only collect
funds from students, but they also use building space, utilities, and
resources (chairs, computers, desks, paper clips, and employees) bought and
paid for by the Idaho and Federal Taxpayer.

Finally, Mr. Wilson is not using any resources of the Taxpayer, he is paying
the taxpayer, so he is using his own resources, not the governments.

Your argument boils down to one statement. 'Mr. Wilson should be denied the
opportunity to use the Kibbie Dome because you disagree with his religious
practices outside the Kibbie Dome and what he is going to say inside the
Kibbie Dome".

To me, this is the exact same argument that was being made against Gay and
Lesbian Clubs whenever they tried to use public facilities for events and
meetings in the 1980s and 1990s . People would claim that the queers are
promoting sodomy and illegal sex in the state of Idaho and they were a group
of criminals promoting their criminal activities.

Tell me how your argument is different from the homophobs of the 80s?

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold