[Vision2020] Right to Speak

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:27:09 PST 2005

Yes, the Square is public property.  However, the STUDENTS are not the ones
paying for its maintenance, the right to use the Square, etc.  BUT, as well
as tax payers, they do pay fees to maintain the Kibbie Dome.  ALL of the
students that attend UI pay these fees.  Don't you think holding an affair
in the Kibbie that ridicules, berates and de-humanizes some of these
fee-paying-students is just a bit of "biteing the hand that feeds you"
syndrome?  And if some mass group wishes to use the Square or put on a
parade downtown, etc. it comes before the community leaders for discussion
and approval.  This Trinity thing came before NO one but the person that
accepted the check from this group.  Where was the community input regarding
this event?  Was the public's right to know what is happening in their own
town considered?  Who pays for the cops to direct traffic?  How about the
seperation of church and state?  Don't fool yourself into thinking this is
some kind of intellectual endeavor going on...this is clearly a religious
activity with "reformed church people" being the main participants.

I have no doubt that Doug would allow anyone to attend - but believe me if
you use a Moscow address to register to attend, you will be checked against
the church's rolls - if you are not listed as a currect member of the
church, you will be watched.  I know, because it has happened in  past
events.  When was the last time you had to register to attend anything at
the Square, much less asked to pay $145?  Did you get the feeling the
camaras were on you during that event?  They are at these "festivals" that
Doug holds.

Again, yes - Doug has a right to say what he will as he sees fit - heck,
who's going to stop him?  But why do the tax paying/student-fee-paying
public - the brunt of his digs, jabs, hatred - have to foot the bill?  Why
can this event not be held at the Logas building?

I ask again - when was the last time WSU allowed such an event - a clearly
RELIGIOUS event - to be held on their property?  Or ANY publicly funded
institution?