[Vision2020] What in the world?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:10:15 PST 2005

Right on Kai! Thank you for backing up the First Amendment. It is too bad
that Mr. Wilson uses the amendment for destructive and cruel purposes. But
nonetheless, he has the right to speak his bigoted thoughts and ideas.
Unfortunately, some people believe that the First Amendment only applies to
speech they agree with.

I personally welcome Mr. Wilson to speak his mind. The more he does, the
more people see him for who he really is and what he is all about. The
University also needs that money.

When I was in the student government (ASUI) at UI, we charged $10,000 for
non-student organizations to use the ASUI Kibbie Dome. That money raised is
used to support the Kibbie Dome and make it cheaper for student activities
and events to take place in the Kibbie Dome. So Wilson and friends are
helping the students present their events like the Pow Wow.

When I was involved with the Kootenai County Human Rights Task Force, and
Vice President of the Human Equality Club (the North Idaho College arm of
the Human Rights Task Force) we never attempted to stop the Aryan Nations
from holding events or marching downtown in a parade. Such tactics were
against our ideology. Instead, we held human rights events and programs at
the same time some where else in town and got the community to do the same
thing to boycott the parade. Free ice cream, games, speeches, and events
were held while the Aryan Nations marched. People would go elsewhere for the
free food, leaving the Aryan Nations with a very small audience.

In addition, we did a pledge drive. For every 1/2 miles the Aryan Nations
marched, people would pledge money and we used that money to hold events
like Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and other human rights events all year long
that countered the Aryan Nation ideology and teachings.

I think if people wanted to oppose Mr. Wilson, they would create an
organization designed to counter Christ Church ideology and teachings with
logic and compassion, not attack Douglas Wilson. Instead of trying to deny
Wilson and Christ Church their constitutional rights, they should just
counter his events with events at the same time that teach the ideas of
compassion and human equality. They should take a positive approach, not a
negative one.

I really think people that oppose Wilson are doing it in a way that gives
Wilson and his ideas credit and attention. Wilson is not well known and
powerful because of his ideas that are rejected by 95% of the Palouse
Community, he is powerful because many that oppose him all show up to his
events and attract the media and the curious.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold