[Vision2020] Balance of Powers

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Tue Mar 15 08:28:29 PST 2005

lfalen wrote:

The legislature  does not rule. The Legislature, the Executive branch and the Judicial System are suppose to be in balance."

This is a primary misconception of government.  The founders set up the "three legged stool" to put in place a system of checks and balances on the powers of each branch.  We must, however, look at the functions of each.

The Executive is charged with carrying out the law and its administration.  If the executive fails or does something to which the Congress objects, the congress can change the laws to remedy the president's performance. The Executive has very little power over the Congress.

The Judicial, has the power to determine what laws are constitutional.  If it rejects a law, Congress has the option of either re-writing the law so it conforms with the Constitution or lead in making changes to the Constitution.  Therefor, the Judiciary has no power over the Congress other than disaffirmation of law.

Accordingly, the Congress has the primacy of governance.  Neither the Executive or the Judicial have the power to change the Constitution, but with popular support the Congress does.  Ergo, Congress has greater power.

To my point, the backlash of the Massachusetts opinion has caused a rash of knee-jerk reaction to the notion of gay marriage.  If the Congress can - and it just maybe can - get the country to adopt that ridiculous Federal Marriage Amendment, let the 14th Amendment be damned.  It will be law.

db