[Vision2020] California Gay-Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Mon Mar 14 09:35:28 PST 2005

Sure I've read it.  We can obviously take the implication to your point
to ridiculousness.  Does a bigamist require equal protection, or
pedophiles, animal sodomists,  or those who practice incest require the
same?  The implications of morality are cause for public consensus.
That consensus thereby made under the legislative process of a
democratic republic.   It does not hold to reason that we cannot
legislate morality.  We do it all the time - murder, theft, child abuse,
spousal abuse, rape, incest, polygamy, pornography....   So explain to
me why, under your argument of the 14th Amendment,  polygamists and
animal sodomists are not deserving of equal protection.

So when the time comes, as now,  that the good argument can be made that
the morality of homosexual partners  fits the larger set of morality of
the public, laws should be passed, amended, or repealed.  If they are
not, legislatures may, with the support of popular opinion, change
constitutions so the the rights that should be afforded will be become
constitutionally unattainable. Ergo - blowback.  That is exactly what
the Federal Marriage Amendment is about.

Listen, I'm pro gay marriage, as I've said.  But the 14th Amendment
argument does not pass intellectual scrutiny.

The proper argument is that these are good members of society that do
not harm others in their practices and do not threaten a deleterious
effect on society.  They should be afforded the rights and privileges
that others have as to property succession and custodianship.  Simple as
that.

If, however, the government would get out of the marriage business this
would all become moot and spousal rights could be afforded in a
construct of contract law.

db