[Vision2020] California Gay-Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Mon Mar 14 07:20:33 PST 2005

Hail Machiavelli!  But I warn all that think the ends justify the means
of the potential blow-back of judges over-ruling legislation may just
disable judges from doing just that.  The CA statute that makes marriage
between one man and one woman is an issue of democracy by legislation.
Legislatures have the upper hand and can change constitutions.  Hence
the notion of of "three equal legs of government" is false.  One's
reliance on judicial interpretation may some day come back and bite one
on one's ass.

Listen, I'm for love and equal rights.  The libertarian in me says that
government should stay the hell out of the marriage business (to which I
have the concurrence of Nick Gier.)

But just as the Supreme Court made unconstitutional the practice of
executing minors (the outcome with which I approve as I  approve of the
outcome of the decision in question) the upshot is a loss of democracy
for residence of the states.  Preferably the law should be changed by
democratic process.  In other words, the day will likely come when a law
that you favor and is mandated by majority representation will be
overturned by judicial fiat.  This is the wrong way to run a democracy
or a republic.

Justice Brandies may be rolling over in his grave.

db