[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:28:46 PST 2005

Andreas,

Your exaggerations and 1/2 truths hurt your creditability.

First, the source of information you are using  (Arindrajit Dube of the UC
Berkeley Institute of Industrial Relations,
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/08/02_walmart.shtmlcomes)
is from a report that was done ONLY on California, not the whole US, to
extrapolate that information to apply to every where in the country is
flawed thinking.

Second, all of the information they used to calculate their data for this
report was used not as factual unbiased verified data, but data from a
lawyer in a law suit against Wal-Mart.
http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/lowwage/walmart.pdf

Third, this report makes many farfetched assumptions. The biggest assumption
it makes is that all employees at Wal-Mart that do not get the Wal-Mart
Health Insurance do not get health insurance from some place else. I am
willing to bet that of the roughly 50% of Wal-Mart employees that do not
have health insurance, most of them have health insurance from another
source such as their spouse, Medicaid, Medicare, parents, military
(Tri-Care), college or university, another job, or purchase other health
insurance from somewhere else. To assume that they have none, or would have
insurance if employed someplace else and thus use the Indigent Fund, and
cost the state $2,000 a year is pretty arrogant assumption, and then apply
that to every single employee is really showing flawed thinking.

Fourth, they assumed that every employee’s income at Wal-Mart was that
person's sole source of income for the entire family. Using this data they
extrapolated who would and who would not qualify for benefits from the state
and federal government. Again, this is wrong headed. Most homes are two
income homes. This would not qualify them for many state and federal
benefits. A mother working part time to supplement the family income would
not qualify for food stamps if her spouse is making $20,000 a year ($10 an
hour) or more. This report assumes that she would qualify AND be collecting
those benefits.

Fifth, even if Wal-Mart had the highest number of employees in the country
pulling from the indigent fund that does not mean anything because they are
one of the largest employers in the country. Wal-Mart is in the service
industry, the lowest paying industry in the country unless you are a doctor
or a prostitute. 50% of Wal-Mart employees are making $9 and hour or more
plus medical. That is not bad for a part-time supplementary job or for a
second income.  UI pays students at most $8.15 an hour and starts students
at about $6 an hour. We have people with PhDs at UI making less than $30K a
year, or $15 an hour. You think a high school stock boy should be making
$12? What is greater injustice here? Where do you think your energies should
be directed?

Finally, your understanding of the collection and distribution of the
Wal-Mart Foundation is incorrect. Wal-Mart does use funds to support the
foundation. It gave as much as the Canadian Government to the Tsunami relief
effort, $38 million. Employees, or associates, are included in the decision
making process of donating resources to the local community, and are given
the option to contribute in either time and/or money to help those
charitable efforts. Many companies do this. Tidymans did this to a great
extent—and you can see how they benefited.

The world market is changing. The world population and US population have
significantly increased driving down labor wages. Blaming Wal-Mart for
adjusting to this reality does not change that situation. The solution to
competing with China is not to do what China does best, cheap mass
production, the solution is to do what Americans do best, invent the
products they mass produce.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold