[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Supercenter Opposition

Storla, Robbie calebsomeone at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 11:19:59 PST 2005

being a current associate i have never seen this option or heard of it?  if this is an option for associates and so much was raised wouldnt you think that i would have been told about this option?

Robbie

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Ms. Gray. I was unaware of these contributions made on behalf of
> Wal-Mart. It is nice to know that such a large retail chain (as Wal-Mart)
> has the heart to become a contributing member of our community.

Wal-Mart's philanthropic branch is called the Wal-Mart Foundation.
>From the name, one would think it was set up by Sam Walton and funded
by donations by Wal-Mart, Inc. and the Walton family. You would be
wrong.

The Wal-Mart Foundation, the largest corporate philanthropic
foundation in America, disburses $190 million per year, but is not
largely funded by Wal-Mart, Inc. Instead, it is instead funded by the
people who can least afford to give: Wal-Mart associates themselves.
Each year, associates get the option to take a payroll deduction to
donate to the Wal-Mart foundation. Wal-Mart gets the PR boost. Its
employees continue to get the shaft.

Even if it were actualy Wal-Mart donating to the Wal-Mart Foundation,
$190 million doesn't even come close to the two billion dollars that
Wal-Mart costs American taxpayers every year. According to this study
by Arindrajit Dube of the UC Berkeley Institute of Industrial
Relations, each employee of Wal-Mart costs its state $1,952 every year
in public assistance. Multiply that by the over one million employees
that Wal-Mart has nationwide, and you come to a staggering public cost
of over two billion dollars per year. The cost to Sojourners' is just
a microcosm of the cost to everyone -- including you..

This, of course, doesn't include the direct tax subsidies to local
Wal-Marts as communities vie to have the Wal-Mart albatross hung
around their neck. Their employees' widows' mites do a lot of good --
but it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the irreparable harm
they're doing to communities across the United States.

-- ACS

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

Regards,

Robbie E. K. Storla

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.