[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 11 05:21:13 PST 2005

>From today's (March 11, 2005) UI Friday Letter.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends March 11, 2005

Dear Friends,

It's always a pleasure to share the good news about the University of Idaho,
and two recent announcements highlight the academic vigor and strength of
the institution.

We received continued accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges
and Universities, which recognizes our compliance with the commission's
standards of higher education. This is great news for the University. It
validates our solid foundation as an institution, and confirms the quality
of our programs and people. We earned praise for our commitment to students,
learning and living facilities, the new core curriculum, access to
technology, the dedication of faculty and staff and success with private
fund raising. The team's suggested improvements focus on clarifying an
institutional mission, initiating strategic planning, improving assessment
of outcomes and addressing staffing and financial issues. Those areas are
already being addressed through the University's Plan for Renewal of People,
Programs and Place.

We also ranked third among Northwest public universities for attracting
National Merit Finalists. Nine new National Merit Finalists (NMF) enrolled
at the University last fall, joining 25 others who continue to study at UI.
Our ability to attract these quality students can be attributed to our
strong academic programs and opportunities for undergraduate research. The
University of Washington was first with 36 new NMFs; second was University
of Oregon with 14. Nearby, Montana State enrolled seven; Oregon State eight;
Washington State University three; and BYU-Idaho and Idaho State University
each enrolled one.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
~ Nepal has honored two University of Idaho administrators with the 2005
International Golden Civil Award. Byron Dangerfield, dean of the College of
Business and Economics and Bob Neuenschwander, manager of the Study Abroad
program were cited for contributing to the people of Nepal through higher
education exchange programs. Since 1998, 29 Nepali students have come to UI
to earn degrees and 77 UI students have studied in Nepal.

~ The Dance Studio on the UI campus is about to get its bounce back.
That's thanks to a $10,000 grant from the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation
and support from UI's Division of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and
Dance, UI alumni, Festival Dance Performing Arts Academy, Swing Devils,
Northwest Dance and Spectrum II Arts Schools. Installation of a new 3,500
square-foot sprung wood floor is scheduled to begin in May and will be
completed in June -- in time for the summer camps and programs.

~ The generosity of Dr. Anita E. Robinson '68 and husband, Dr. G. Chris
Kutteruff, of Coeur d'Alene, has resulted in the establishment of an endowed
scholarship to support University of Idaho-bound students from Bonner
County.  Their gift of $100,000 creates the Lorna and Dan Robinson
Scholarship in memory of Anita's parents.  Lorna and Dan moved to Idaho in
1942 and settled in Bonner County where they farmed, raised three children
and were involved in many local activities including 4-H and Grange.  The
endowment is a tribute to their longtime support of education and activities
in Bonner County. For years to come, students from Bonner County will
benefit from the generosity of Anita and Chris.

Take care,

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy