[Vision2020] Gritman's Community Service

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Mar 2 11:07:52 PST 2005

Hi Barbara,

I was using the term in the context of medically
indigent under Idaho Code. That roughly
translates as someone who is not
medicaid/medicare eligible and is unable to make
satisfactory arrangement with Gritman for payment
for care. Those are the cases that are sent to
the county indigent program for payment by the
county taxpayers. The extent that Gritman chooses
to not send a request for payment to the county
is what I consider true giving, in a dollars and
cents meaning, to the community. Any hospital,
for-profit or non-profit, can choose not to
accept medicaid/medicare clients, but I believe
it is an all-or-nothing choice that only a few
exclusive private for-profit hospitals choose to
make. A hospital that elects to participate in
medicaid/medicare explicitly accepts the level of
payment provided by the federal guidelines as
full and complete whether it truly covers their
costs or not.

thank you,

Mark