[Vision2020] Moscow City Council Ignores Due Process

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 05:04:59 PDT 2005

Mr. Dickinson and others,

I appreciate your response and we are in agreement on
the need for correction of the city code.

However, you seem to misunderstand either the concept
of due process, or are unaware of the lack of due
process that took place at the BOA meeting, which is
understandable because you did not to attend the BOA
meeting.

First, it is a violation of due process to limit the
defense to 15 minutes and give unlimited time to the
complainants. Due process requires that both sides be
given an equal opportunity to present. BOA rules state
that comments from members of the public is limited to
only 15 minutes. Since, NSA was not included as an
interested party, they were limited to 15 minutes,
look that up in the BOA rules, you will find it.

Second, Mr. Curley, attorney for the complainants, was
given an opportunity to rebut Mr. Dickison’s
arguments. Mr. Dickison was not ever given an
opportunity to rebut or counter argue Mr. Curly’s
claims. If one side gets this as a right, so should
the other.

Finally and most importantly, I would like to point
out that NSA was only given the evidence and
argumentation against them five minutes before the
hearing, (I was there, I saw that Mr. Dickison was not
handed papers that were submitted to the BOA, and he
complained about it, to you and at the time to BOA,
check your records.

Five minutes is not adequate time to prepare a
defense, Mr. Dickinson. How can NSA prepare arguments
and submit counter evidence against claims made by Mr.
Curley’s clients if they are not told what they are
until the hearing starts? They cannot. That is why it
is illegal and a violation of due process to perform a
hearing in this fashion. For the County BOE hearing,
evidence has to be submitted three days before, or it
is inadmissible. But for the city, springing charges
on a guy five minutes ahead of time where their
property is at sake seems not to be a "flawed
process"? I hope you do not hold that opinion Mr.
Dickinson as being true due process and that we are
just having a misunderstanding. Residents of Moscow
deserve ample time to review and defend charges made
against them.

If someone gave you just five minutes to review
charges against you and prepare a defense and 15
minutes to present it, would you find that fair? That
is what you gave NSA. What do you think a court of law
will say about that? Think about it.

Donovan J Arnold

=== message truncated ===