[Vision2020] Christ Church's Intolerance

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:06:14 PDT 2005

On November 22, 2003, Christ Church placed an ad in the Daily News.  Similar
ads appeared in other local newspapers.  The ads were incredibly offensive.
Here are a few quotes:

"Christ Church...has been constant and gladly controversial in making the
case that modern secularism is boring, hypocritical, and ugly."

"Christ Church has a long published history of revealing the ugliness and
hypocrisies of the right and left, conservatives and progressives, racists
and egalitarians, religious fundamentalists and secular fundamentalists.
All these groups despise the good life and deserve one another.  We want no
part of their family infighting."

"Secularism can only fake tolerance, diversity and inclusion... secularism
undermines rationality and knowledge... secularism guts beauty, play, the
arts, and laughter."

I would assume Christ Churchers have read Jesus's words regarding treating
your neighbors as you would yourself.  I also assume they understand you
reap what you sow.

Everybody is entitled to free speech.  Perhaps they regret placing this
offensive ad for all to see how they feel about pretty much everybody but
themselves.  If not, it should not come as a surprise that they are not
welcome by the people they despise in the core of downtown via New St.
Andrews College.  If they don't respect their neighbors, they will not get
respect in return.  Jesus preached such logic.

I'm torn by the NSA zoning issue because I want to be tolerant.  But how can
I support them being downtown knowing they have no respect for me and are
willing to pay to advertise that, without really knowing who I am?

I could understand giving leeway to groups that desire to build community.
But why should the city council make an exception to such an antagonistic
group?

I'll be the first to admit I regret things I've done and said.  I'll I can
ask is for forgiveness.  But this is a good lesson for all of us to ponder:
self-righteousness eventually destroys.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Hearts?!:("