[Vision2020] More on Muslim Contributions to Europe

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Jun 26 14:06:30 PDT 2005

Greetings:

My good friend Ghazi reminded me the role of Medieval Islam was not merely
as transmitter of Greek philosophy and science, but also innovator.  So
I've edited and added to the essay that I posted.

"In rejecting the charge of racism, Wilson claimed that it was
Christianity, not genes, that make a culture superior. He said that if
Christianity had moved south instead of west, Africans would now be the
most advanced people in the world.
One might ask how Wilson defines cultural superiority. If it is economic
power, then Euro-Americans will be overtaken by Chinese and Indians in
20-30 years. If it is moral superiority, how does Wilson explain that fact
that Christian America now imprisons 2 million people, while the Japanese
currently incarcerate 150,000, if you adjust for population. We will be
militarily superior for a long time, but I remember Jesus saying that we
should be as little children when we come to him.
History appears to disconfirm Wilson's view of Christianity's special
advantage. Medieval Europe is Wilson's ideal world, but the rest of the
civilized world at that time--China, India, and the Islamic countries--was
far more advanced than these Europeans. In fact, if it had not been Mongols
bringing Asian goods/inventions and the Muslims preserving Greek
philosophy/science and introducing algebra, Europe would have remained
stagnant.
Wilson has the Mongols to thank for the pants he wears, and he should be
grateful to the Hindus for the zero. The Mongols were the source of the
gunpowder that Wilson's hero Robert E. Lee used against the Union Army.
Furthermore, it would be very difficult for Wilson to count his book
royalties with Roman numerals.  We live in one great world culture in which
all people contribute. Even the wisdom of the Bible is based on many Middle
Eastern cultures."

Nick Gier

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."

~~ Joseph Campbell