[Vision2020] virtues come first

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Jun 24 14:50:00 PDT 2005

All,

Melynda has pointed out by example what many on this list probably already know.

Anyone who has taken an general ethics course taught by the philosophy department in any secular university knows that there are many different ethical systems.

Each of these systems has its own general basis for justifying its ethical proscriptions.  The ethical proscriptions from one system frequently are inconsistent with those of other systems.  Some systems have insurmountable problems because of clear logical inconsistency.  Some systems are based entirely on what, in effect, is superstition and ignorance.  Some are based, in part, on knowledge acquired through the application of observation and logic.

There is no accepted way known currently that allows tests/verification/etc to determine which ethical system is the "true one".  The fundamental axioms (fundamental "oughts") of ethical systems have yet to be proven, although in particular cultures those axioms can have assignable probabilities.  Hence at present, many ethical systems are thus heuristically based.  There is no (or very little controversy) about what the gravitational constant in Moscow, Idaho is.  There is a great deal of irresolvable controversy about the application of the death penalty with no accepted method to determine the correct answer.

This status does not mean that we should not stop observing, testing, theorizing, etc.  What it does mean is that we ought be careful when spending public money promoting a particular ethical system, and especially if its basis is superstition and ignorance, rather than making predominantly testable/verifiable claims.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com