[Vision2020] Supreme Court on eminent domain

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:18:33 PDT 2005

Mark and all

At the risk of going over the limit, which has been variously described as
one, two or three posts in a day here on V2020, I have to completely concur
with you that the Supremes are way out of bounds on this ruling.

Its interesting to note that its the left on the court who find no problems
with taking people's property for even a non-public purpose in direct
controvention of the Fifth Amendment.

I think it was back in 1994 up at Red Fish Lake that I battled it out at a
Wild Idaho meeting with Lynne Stone on the Takings Clause.  I made reference
at that time that its a protection for property holders, but that it is also
a protection for many of the other values, including environmental ones,
which we all hold dear.  I think that the environmental consensus at the
time was that only 'greedy' property owners cared about the Takings Clause.

I urge all the people who can to take heed of this case and realize that it
is a threat to basic liberties.  Its wrong to steal private property for
private uses and just as wrong to steal it without compensation to the land
owner for a public purpose.  Either weakening of the Amendment is a direct
assault on basic human rights.

People should consider contacting our Congressional delegation to try to see
what can be done to turn this thing around.

Phil Nisbet