[Vision2020] The Virtues Come First

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Jun 21 12:28:31 PDT 2005

virtues are important and should be taught. I am not sure how it should be funded. Ethics should be a part of all school's curriculums.To me it seems like most virtues should be intuitive, but sadly this is not the case.  Most people don't want to admit they don't know something or made a mistake. When I was in the Feed Business, I used to tell my sales crew to not blow smoke. If you don't know the answer to a question. say so and that you will try and find an answer. If you blow smoke, they will probably find that out and wont believe anything you tell them. Be straight with them and they should believe what you tell them. There are two sides to every story. When I had a problem with my production crew, I got all sides of the issue before I made a decision. Usually the first sory is not accurate. To many administrators take at face value the first thing that they are told and act on that and then wont admit that they made a mistake. I told my crew that I would not fire anyo!
 ne for
making a mistake. but I would fire them for trying to cover it up. If I know what the problem is I can probably fix it. The Golden Rule should be intuitive. Since it is not, virtues should be taught. lawyers should be taught ethics not just how to win and Administrators should have some training on getting all sides of a story and correcting a bad decision as soon as the realize they were wrong. Vince Lombardi was wrong when he said "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"' Granville Hicks is a better role model. He said " When the last great game is played, it matters not who won or lost, but how you played the game".