PRIVATE: RE: [Vision2020] A uniform legal challenge

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 23:54:59 PDT 2005

Saundra, Phil et. al.

This little debate is easy to parse, and in Saundra Lund's favor.

I once argued against Saundra in person for what I thought might be an unfair
focus on Christ Church, etc., so I feel I can speak on this debate with some
accuracy.

Let's assume Phil is correct, and there is illegal water use in Latah County,
and individuals who are not property certified doing professional geological
work.  I don't know the law and circumstances involved in these charges.  I am
only conceding these cases to Phil for the sake of debate.

If every law on the books, criminal and civil, were enforced to the letter in
every case possible, there would not be enough time or money or enough courts
and judges to handle it all.  Apart from this, we all pick our battles, if we
fight any, based on what sorts of injustices we think are worth attention.
No one can take on all the violations of law occurring in Latah County as a
crusade, much less the State of Idaho or the world at large.

Now having said that, here is the focus of my argument in Saundra's favor,
based on detailed conversations I have had with Saundra in person.  I hope
Saundra does not mind my sharing of some of the details involved.  I am not asking
her in advance, because I think these details reveal nothing more than she has
already made public.

Saundra can correct me if I am wrong, but based on our conversations, where I
made similar arguments to those Phil has made directly to her, Saundra
elucidated that one reason she feels compelled to focus on Christ Church related
issues of a legal nature is their goal of reforming Moscow into a town more to
their liking, based on their religious/political views.

Of course other churches and other sorts of organizations in Moscow, in one
way or another, are also attempting to proselytize and influence others to
follow their way of thinking and acting.  But no one can doubt that Christ Church
and its associated institutions and businesses has expanded in recent years in
a manner that demonstrates increasing economic and social/political power in
Moscow.  And that they have beliefs and engage in behaviors which many people
in Moscow find highly questionable.  We are all free as citizens to focus our
attention on causes which we find to be the most deserving.  No one has to
take on all causes, nor could anyone find the time and energy, even if they did
want to.

Christ Church and its associated institutions and businesses have the
potential of drawing thousands of like minded people to Moscow, remaking the
social/political fabric of the city.  I do not think it is an exaggeration to state
that those who wield the most power in Christ Church would leap for joy at
expanding their membership and economic/political power to remake the
social/political fabric of Moscow.

I suppose if someone feels strongly that the implications of the expanding
influence of organic farming for Latah County and Moscow are negative, then they
might feel a similar need to focus on all the legal issues involved regarding
an organic farm that might be violating water use laws.  Or perhaps someone
thinks the influence of uncertified geologists may remake the social/politcal
fabric of Moscow.  As I stated, each person picks their causes to focus on
based on what they think is the most important issue or issues.

Saundra is addressing in her efforts to focus on the legal issues surrounding
the conduct of Christ Church, etc., this existing and potentially much
greater profound impact on the Moscow community, insisting that this potentially
much more powerful organization follow the law.  If she was all fired up about
the legal issues of water use rights and proper professional certification for
geologists doing business, then those legal issues would receive her attention.

Saundra, I hope I have not misstated your thinking on this issue.

Now about the Moscow MPD enforcing the rights of pedestrians to safely cross
at marked cross walks in Moscow ... Never mind, too many causes, so little
time!

Ted Moffett