[Vision2020] Wayne's challenge

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:16:07 PDT 2005

Wayne Fox issued a challenge suggesting that support for something he
refered to as The Church of Christ Christian be a test of a persons belief
in religious freedoms and I thought that perhaps clarification should be
offered to correct his poorly inspired post.

First;

As per normative, Wayne has botched the job in issue of his challenge.  The
Church of Christ Christian is actually an organization which its not to hard
to defend.  The have a United Organization that even includes Peace and
Justice groups and a whole lot of very left leaning ideologies that I am
sure Wayne would find of comfort.  Their leader is a guy named, José Abraham
De Jesús.

So heck, Wayne, I am all in support of hammering people who are playing
games with that Cleveland based group of churchs.  Boy, that challenge was
easy. . .

However, I think that what Wayne was trying to play at was giving us a
challenge to support the religious freedom of The Church of Jesus Christ
Christian, the Aryan Brotherhood.  As with other instances of getting the
facts wrong, Wayne chose the wrong name, just as he and others here chose
false numbers and spouts them as well.

Still, I will galdly deal with the reality of Wayne's botched challenge,
properly corrected to deal with the Aryan Brotherhood.

You see, Wayne, I would never have taken action against Butler's little
group if all they did was sit on a mountain top and believed their bogus
idealogy, leaving the rest of us alone.  The Aryan Nation, did not do that
and they specifically preached Race War as an active group of violent
actions seeking to enforce their system of Aryan domination on all other
persons.  They not only preached Race War, they actively promoted training
for and stockpiling of weapons for the violent overthrow of the American
system and sent teams like the Order out to kill people.

If you bring me information that the people here in Moscow at Christ Church
are planning the violent overthrow of the US government and are training
death squads to kill the people on the list of people that they find to be
sinners, I will gladly join you on the barricades Wayne.  To date, all I
have seen is that they and their church are exclusivist, people who chose
not to have certain behaviors tolerated in their group.

The reality is that we all lack toleration.  Its part of the human
condition.  There are people who we do not care to assiciate with.  I can
think of any number of them I will not spend time with.

But being intolerant of others is not the same thing as actively seeking the
death of or the suppression of the beliefs of another human being.

The question is one of deciding what role and when the government, to whit
society in general, can or should enter the fray.  For me that threshold is
very high and obviously for you that threshold is very low.

For me the KKK, Aryan Nations, NAMBLA and a variety of other groups who
actively harm others and break the law, use violence and other abuses, are
fair game.  They cross the line from simple lack of toleration and
exclusivity to active harm to others.

My problem with the witch hunt now happening here in town is that it focuses
on the exclusivity of a groups beliefs and not on criminality on the part of
that group.  As I said, if you can provide me with proof that the CCers are
out to kill people or are seeking to actively supress people's civil rights,
I will be the first on the Baricades.  I think that so far, you lack that
proof.

Phil Nisbet