[Vision2020] When I Kill One I Create Three

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 15:36:02 PDT 2005

All:

>From the front page headline story in today's Spokesman Review:

"A growing number of senior American milliatary officers in Iraq have concluded there is no long term military solution to an insurgency that has killed thousands of Iraqis and more than 1700 U. S. troops during the past two years"

"I think the more accurate way to approach this right now is to concede that... this insurgency is not going to be settled, the terrorists and the terrorism in Iraq are not going to be settled, through military options or military operations," Brig. Gen. Donald Alston, the chief U. S. military spokesman in Iraq said last week in a comment that echoes what other senior officers say.

Lt. Col. Frederick P. Wellman, who works with the task force overseeing the training of Iraq security troops, said the insurgency doesn't seem to be running out of new recruits, a dynamic fueled by tribal members seeking revenge for relatives killed in fighting.

"We can't kill them all," Wellman said.  "When I kill one I create three."

The horror and cruelty implicit in this statement "that we can't kill them all" is beyond belief.

Ted Moffett