[Vision2020] Open meeting law

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Mon Jun 13 13:10:42 PDT 2005

The Open Meeting law in Idaho has some loop holes that need to be closed. The penalty section is a joke.
There will be a meeting wednesday evening at 7:00 pm in the kitchen area at the fairgrounds. The plan is to work on drafting an "Open Meeting initiative". There is a two step procedure for an initiative. The first step intails getting it written and having 20 voters sign it.  It is then sent to the Attorney General.  He has to approve the format. Once this is done, 6% of the voters in the last election have to sign it, in order for it to be placed on the 2006 ballot.

Tom Trail, Gary Schroeder and if he can make it Rich Levengood will be there. This is a non-partisan, civil liberties issue. State wide I think we can get Wendy Jaquet's  support. I am hoping we can get the support of existing organization in order to get the required signatures. I have not taked to any one yet, but I hope to get the support of "The Idaho Press Club, The League of Women Voters, and The American Civil Liberties Union to help get the necessary signatures. The Idaho State Grange supported legislation in this reguard last year. If any one knows of any other organization that might be willing to help garner signatures please let me know.

I urge every one interested in open government to come.

"The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing"
Edmund Burke