[Vision2020] Finally done: The Boy Who Cried Wolf

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 00:32:08 PDT 2005

Visionaries and Doug Wilson,

When my children were little they liked to hear Aesop's Fables.  We  had a
particularly nice edition of the book with great illustrations which made  the
stories especially enjoyable.  A perennial favorite was "The Boy Who  Cried
Wolf."  The kids couldn't wait to get to the moral; "Liars are  not believed even
when they speak the truth."  Douglas Wilson did  you not hear that story when
you were young?  In your response to  our op-ed piece you continue to lie and
misrepresent the truth.

1.   We referenced your claim that the UI gave credit  for protesting the
2004 non-history conference.  Your blog response  was:

" I did not claim that all the protesters got class  credit."

Guess what, Douglas Wilson? I used your words which did  not include the
freshly added word "all."   You use that word  now as a device to disassociate
yourself from previous public  statements.  Douglas Wilson,  shame on you.  This
is your  usual modus operandi when caught out.  It's the same old sleight  of
hand, smoke and mirrors,  and deliberate misdirection that have  worked to
your advantage for a very long time.  Do you think  this rhetorical trickery will
continue to work in your favor?  You shame  yourself, and by extension your
church, when you pull this  crap.

What you did say was:
"It was the UI that spent (some sixteen) thousands of dollars to generate
opposition to Credenda's history conference, and even offered a  (for-credit)
class to instruct students in how to be good, little protesters  against us."
 _http://dougwils.com/?Action=Search&searchstring=riggins_
(http://dougwils.com/?Action=Search&searchstring=riggins)

And:

"the University of Idaho spending $16,000 to resist our history conference
(along with offering a credit class for protesting us)"
 _http://dougwils.com/?Action=Search&searchstring=weird+alliance_
(http://dougwils.com/?Action=Search&searchstring=weird+alliance)

2.  Regarding the boarding houses,  you say:

"For example, it never occurred to me to "disclose" that we had students
boarding with us. You know, our house has a certain number of bedrooms. We
thought it was okay if people lived in them. But who knew?
_http://dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=1156_
(http://dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=1156)

In fact, you knew, Douglas Wilson.   On May 11, 2000,   Chris Schlect (then
and now an Elder in Christ Church and then and now an  employee of NSA's)
received a letter from Joel Plaskon, Assistant City  Planner.
_http://www.zonemoscow.com/past/answer2.html_ (http://www.zonemoscow.com/past/answer2.html)
The last paragraph of the first page reads:

"Please be aware that the City's regulations of the subject property
do not preclude your use of it as a means of income.  If Conditional  Use
Permit approval can not be given for New Saint Andrew's College at the  subject
property, the Zoning Ordinance could allow other potential income  generating
uses, some of which require use permit approval, and which may  include
residential apartments, a home occupation, boarding house, bed and  breakfast, and
daycare facilities."

Are you now going to claim that Chris didn't share that information with
you?  Good heavens, man, the college that you help found was in  jeopardy.  You
were/are a life-time trustee.  Chris is/was an elder.  Is it likely that he
would keep something of this magnitude from  you?  I don't think so.  Are you
going to claim that the  wording of the letter is ambiguous?  Please scrape
together enough  dignity and self-respect to avoid heading down that road.

In the DN article we mentioned that you had boarders.  If we had had  more
space we would have included the names of some of the other elders,  senior
administrators of NSA, or respected members of Christ Church or Trinity  Reformed
(your Moscow Mission Church) who also have disregarded the requirement  for a
Conditional Use Permit.  We have that space now:

Doug Wilson:        Pastor of  Christ Church,  Life-time Trustee NSA
Roy  Atwood          President, NSA  (former elder)
Chris Schlect        Administrator  NSA, Elder
Jim  Nance            Logos  Secondary Teacher
Dale  Courtney            Part-time  Logos Teacher, Full time Blogger
Dr. Grauke, M.D.       Board Member,  NSA
Dr. Matt Rice
Matt Whittling,  Principal Logos School, Chairman of  NSA Board
Todd Flack,         Son-in-law  of a Christ Church Elder
Bill Amos

It may well be the case that some of the church members who run  boarding
houses knew nothing about the Conditional Use Permit and other  city
requirements.   They may have presumed that they could trust  the elders of Christ Church.
 Instead, they have been caught up  in a web that you, and other
knowledgeable elders, have spun.  No doubt,  given the number of boarders in some homes
(up to five),  and the  amount charged, these boarders (indirectly) pay the
mortgages for many  church members.   Shame on you and your elders for this
wretched  behavior.   A question that remains to be answered is this:   did you (and
the elders) deliberately remain silent on this issue, or have you  carefully
inculcated an attitude of disregard of city code in your  congregation?  I
hope the members of Christ Church that are caught up in  your boarding house
snare press you for further explanations on this  matter.

Details on this program are available at:
_http://www.newstandrews.org/admissions/housing.html_
(http://www.newstandrews.org/admissions/housing.html)
Scroll down to "Boarding with a Christian Family."

3.    You claim that the property tax exemption on  Anselm House and part of
NSA was lost because:

"The reason the two parcels lost their tax exemption is a reason that
applies equally well to virtually every other tax exempt parcel in the state of
Idaho."

Please point Saundra Lund or me in the direction of any other church  in
Moscow which owns a $900,000 publishing house (2004 revenue  according to Douglas
Jones, editor of Canon Press)  operating in a church  owned office building
(which has never been used as a church) that has the  unmitigated gall to expect
a property tax exemption, and we will hop right  on it.  I doubt that such an
entity exists anywhere else in Idaho.   And, if we throw in the very special
benefits and opportunities that you  receive, (remember, last July we
presented undisputed evidence to the  Board Of Equalization that 27.8% of Canon Press
publications were authored by  you, and that you received royalties for those
materials?)  the chance of  this behavior being replicated elsewhere in Idaho
is practically nil.   In my lay opinion, your royalty payments suggest
inurement - which, as I am  sure you know, invalidates a claim for a non-profit
status.  Saundra and I  are the first to admit that we are not attorneys.  This
issue is best  sorted out by IRS staff who thoroughly understand the
requirements, don't you  agree?  Can we expect you to contact them on the matter for
clarification?  Well, no, probably not.

You are also aware that under Idaho law the exclusivity  clause pertaining to
 schools (other than charter schools) does  not allow a school to lease part
of their property to a for profit business and  retain a property tax
exemption.  Help me to understand, Douglas Wilson,  your claim that "virtually every
other tax exempt parcel in the State of Idaho"  does this.  That is simply not
true.  It is a lie. You aren't being  singled out,  although truly, your
behavior is singular.

4.    Regarding Atlas School and St. Monica's
You say:
"Christ Church members do not need the permission of the church to educate
their own children at home, or to open a school. "

Perhaps they don't need your permission, but what a disgrace that the
school administrators of Atlas and St. Monica's  didn't have the blessing  of wise
counsel and the truthful elders who knew that schools are required  to have a
Conditional Use Permit.  Why didn't you tell them?    You certainly were
notified that NSA, when located in Chris Schlect's home, was  not appropriately
sited.  How did you suppose that locating a school a  block away would be
acceptable?  Did you hope that the school would fail  before this was found out?  Did
you intend that the operators of the school  would be out of compliance with
city ordinances?  Or, did obeying city code  not matter to them any more than
it does to you?

Saundra and I appreciated your invitation for even more scrutiny.   And, of
course we whole heartedly agree that when your organizations begin to  act as
though the laws of this nation, state, and city do indeed apply to  them, as
they do to us, this controversy will end.  Do you have any idea  when we can
expect that to happen?  I can assure you, no one will be  happier than Saundra
and me when that day comes.

Rose Huskey

P.S.  And, just for the record, Douglas Wilson, how is it that you  equate
our expectation that your organizations obey the law with attempts to  "run you"
and yours out of town?  The two situations are not  analogous.  The only
conclusion that I can draw (at this admittedly late  hour) is that for some
unfathomable reasons you (and yours) feel that you  are above the law. (This Dale,
is exactly what I meant when I said Christ  Church is full of "white men of
privilege and entitlement who need to get  over it."  Hint: It is not a
compliment and it is an apt  description.)

NOTE:  This email is copy righted.  None of the contents of  this email may
be reproduced or quoted without my written  permission.  (Don't bother to ask
Dale, the answer today, tomorrow,  and forever will be  NO!!)