[Vision2020] On Slavery and biblical justifications

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 02:24:58 PDT 2005

Ms. Nisbet,

You have some interesting comments on slavery,
especially regarding slavery in ancient Rome which I
know nothing about other than 1/3 of the population of
Rome at one point was slaves.

To me, the evil of slavery rests in the establishment
of people as property. The treatment of slaves and how
long they were slaves were secondary issues.

Slaves ran away, set their owners property on fire,
and staged violent revolts against their owners. They
did this in an attempt to gain freedom. Because slaves
cost about $20,000 a piece in today's dollars, owners
took to beatings to suppress these actions so they did
not lose their "property".

Slave owners also suppressed literacy efforts of the
slave population as well. This was to keep them from
reading the Bible and planning revolts. In many
southern cities slaves outnumbered non-slaves.

I believe that today slavery still exists but it is
better known as the federal minimum wage and illegal
immigration.

I was unaware that people were only slaves for 6 years
in Rome. If this was the case, why would so many men
fight and die in the games to earn their freedom?
Would not most people just wait out the 6 years than
fight in games with a 90%+ morality rate?

Donovan J Arnold