[Vision2020] Mark Felt and Andreas Schou comments

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 02:05:11 PDT 2005

Andreas

COINTELPRO was initiaited by J Edgar Hoover in response to SOCTUS ruling
making HUAC actions illegal.  It was commenced in 1956 and was offically
ended in 1971.  Felt's actions in invading the homes of family members of
the Weather Underground members was conducted post the end of COINTELPRO and
he was busted and tried and convicted for his crimes.

Nixon did not initiate COINTELPRO, though he and all the Presidents from
1956 to 1971 used it as a tool.  There are many examples of JFK and LBJ
using COINTELPRO, just read into the staff files of Church's Committee.

Another pretty important historical inaccuracy exists in this paragraph of
your response;

"So what, might I ask, was Mark Felt to do with the information he had?
Order an investigation from the FBI, which was controlled by Nixon
loyalists? Report his findings to the Justice Department, which was
headed by John Mitchell, who ended up spending hard time in federal
prison for what he did on Nixon's behalf?"

John Mitchell was not the AG when Felt turned Deep Throat, since he had
resigned to run Nixon'x Campaign, during which the Watergate Breakin
occured.  Richard Kleindienst was the AG during the initial period of the
Watergate scandal and he was followed by Elliot Richardson.  Since
Richardson's conducted during the Saturday Night Massacre shows that he
could and did act against the interests of Nixon, Felt could indeed have
gone to the AG's Office during that time frame.

As for Felt as a dedicated wonder, look at this from Wikipedia;

"Immediately upon his death, Hoover's secretary for five decades, Helen W.
Gandy, began destroying his files with the approval of Felt and Gray. She
turned over twelve boxes of the "Official/Confidential" file to Felt on May
4, 1972. This consisted of 167 files and 17,750 pages, many of them
containing derogatory information. Felt stored them in his office and Gray
told the press that afternoon that "there are no dossiers or secret files.
There are just general files and I took steps to preserve their integrity."
Felt earlier that day had told Gray, "Mr. Gray, the Bureau doesn't have any
secret files" and to prove it had taken Gray to Hoover's office. They found
Gandy boxing up papers. Felt said Gray "looked casually at an open file
drawer and approved her work", though Gray would later deny he looked at any
thing. Gandy retained Hoover's "Personal File" and destroyed it. When Felt
was called to testify in 1975 by the U.S. House about the destruction of
Hoover's papers, he said "There's no serious problems if we lose some
papers. I don't see anything wrong and I still don't.""

So Good old Felt was only too willing to destroy papers and information and
cover up things when it suited his ends.

Similarly, during the very period that Felt was rolling over on Nixon as
Deep Throat, he was performing Black Bag Jobs in 1973, though those exact
types of operations had been specifically banned by the Supreme Court in
Plamondon in June of 1972.  His only reply was "I was shocked that I was
indicted. You would be too, if you did what you thought was in the best
interests of the country and someone on technical grounds indicted you."

Yup, Felt thought that violating Constitutional rights was just fine as long
as he and the wise men in the FBI were the ones doing the work and they
thought that a higher purpose was being served.

And in the ultimate of ironies, Richard Nixon came to Felt's defense and
also gave money to help Felt defend himself.  He ended up fined to the tune
of $5,000, and though the potential did exist that they could have sent him
to prison for ten years he was not required to serve a single day.  At least
President Ford and his DOJ made sure that the Watergate guys other than
Nixon served some time for their crimes, more than seems to have been the
case when the Carter DOH sought sentencing on Felt.

So Nixon covered up Watergate, one break in and was involved in other
violations of the Law.  Felt was convicted of 9 cases of the exact same kind
of activity.  You stated that Nixon should have been jailed for the last 20
years of his life, yet you seem to want to make a hero out of Felt.

Frankly it amazes me that those of the left love Felt so much and hate Nixon
with such a passion.  Its as amazing as any conservative finding heroic
qualities in Nixon.  Nixon was no friend of conservatism and the programs
that he saddle America with during his temure in office as great examples of
his distrust of free markets and of individual freedoms.  Nixon was all for
command and control economics and for extensive accreation of regulatory
authority for federal agencies.  If he was in power today, most current
conservatives would see him as a liberal.

Phil Nisbet