[Vision2020] Domenstic Benefits?

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Jun 4 07:39:59 PDT 2005

Phil,

Trust lands are held in trust by the State Land
Board and managed by the Department of Lands.
There are many different types of trust land
generally defined by the purpose of the trust. By
far the largest one is the trust established by
the Idaho Constitution for the public schools.
Initially, every Section 16 and 30 in each
township of the state (that's 2 sq. miles/every
36 square miles) was given to the state  from the
federal domain by Congress as part of Idaho's
admittance act. The lands were to be sold or used
to generate income for the purposes of the state.
Idaho sold some of the land to give its new
government a physical presence and then put the
rest in trust for the public schools. (There was
an enormous amount of fraud involved locally in
the Clearwater as it's one thing to say each
Section 16 and 30 belongs to the school trust,
it's another to actually go out and survey and
claim those lands before others claimed them
through other acts of Congress establishing
National Forests, Indian Reservations, Railroad
Land Grants, homesteads, etc. but that's another
story.)

The emphasis in that story is the lands were
established for the benefit of the school trust:
that's K-12, not University. Other lands were
given to Idaho for purposes of establishing the
University of Idaho. They are specific and widely
scattered in the state. Some examples include the
actual modern footprint of the UI, the UI
Experimental Forest on Moscow Mountain, the
Parker Farm on the Troy HiWay, the McCall Field
Station, some ag land research stations in south
Idaho and other misc. land.

Other state agencies have their own trust lands
usually derived from gifts of land from private
individuals. Fish and Game lands generally fit
into this category.

You raise an interesting point regarding zoning
and UI trust land. While I haven't really
considered the implications previously, you're
probably right regarding the original trust lands
if they are put to their original purpose. But
none of that is of import to the land around
Moose Creek Reservoir. Those state lands are
school trust lands, not UI lands. They are
currently managed by the State Land Board to
provide the maximum economic return to the trust.
Depending on their nature, they are either
logged, grazed, mined or leased for recreation.
Assuming that the circumstances haven't changed
since I was county commissioner, the land
surrounding the Reservoir is leased by Latah
County for purposes of providing recreation
opportunities for area residents and visitors.
The lease amount is based on returning 5% of the
lands value to the trust annually by policies
established by the Land Board. All money goes to
the Endowment Trust Board which then invests it
on behalf of the public schools and returns some
amount annually to the school fund for
distribution across the state.

Let me repeat: the land around Moose Creek is
school trust land, not UI trust land. UI
endowment land is managed directly by the UI.
Ross Applegren is in charge of the school forest.
Gerard Billington is generally in charge of their
more miscellaneous holdings.

I've got enormous problems with how the lands and
endowment are managed that range from
environmental concerns to investment strategies,
but that's another story.

best,

Mark Solomon