[Vision2020] A bit of Naylor History

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 05:49:59 PDT 2005

In 1999 I first met the people of the Naylor family.  They are great folks
whose family has been a part of the Moscow Community since there has been a
town of Moscow way back in the 1870's.  Their family Farm was broken up in
one of those typical small percentage ownership by grandchildren and great
grandchildren configurations that make management of family farm property so
difficult.  As a favor, they asked that I look at their mineral resources
and I told them at that time that the lack of infrastructure on the property
made the ground of little interest to any mining company.

In 2000, I suggested that the Naylor's talk to Chris Storhok, who was the
Latah County Rural Development Coordinator, about alternative crops.  The
farm was not always making them money and their wheat receipts were less
than they could make from selling the property and putting the money into T
Bills.  Chris and I spent many hours looking for suitable possible crops for
them to switch to.

In that search, it became obvious that the best yields for the soil types
that we have here in Latah County would be irrigated crops.  The ground here
is not suitable for irrigation, but drip irrigated terraced crops had a
possibility.  The most interesting potential was of course grapes and a
possible value added of growing sufficient grapes to have a local winery.

The University of Idaho had previously suggested that growing grapes here in
Moscow was not possible, but expert advice from several wine growing region
Universities suggested that we look at Wineries in places like Colorado,
where they are growing wine grapes at elevations as high as 8000 feet.
Those outside experts looked at the data from the property and noted that
the degree temperature days on south facing slopes on the Naylor property
were suitable for growing varietals that would make high value wine grapes
with good sugar contents and that the frost cycle here in Moscow was
actually a good thing for growing those varieties.

The key the experts said was a need to stop winter loses in vines by making
micro climate using ponds and lakes.  With those ponds and lakes, Naylor’s
would experience loses estimated at an acceptable 5%, but without them the
lose would be 30%.  Another thing they would need was water to drip irrigate
and also to mist the grapes during the late summer hot days that we
experience here in the Palouse.

An initial estimate of the earth that needed to be moved to create the lakes
required was over 2 million tons of dirt.  There were 199 suitable acres of
south facing slopes on their property and there were 150 acres of suitable
valley bottoms to turn into lakes in the vicinity of those south facing
slopes.

Because the family owns its property free and clear, they had the funds to
put in the vineyard and get a well drilled, but they were still way short of
funds for the big lake building project.  Moving 2,000,000 tons of earth is
not cheap and that cost was 6 million dollars.

There is a small market for potter’s clay in the Pacific Northwest that no
large company supplies local clay for.  The Naylor’s hoped that they could
sell potters clay, the materials that the City of the Arts loves so much at
our local festivals, to potters and ceramicists.  The total market for that
clay is only about 5000 tons of clay a year, but that would pay for moving
the earth to build the lakes and set up their winery.

I had a cousin who used to own an artist colony and winery called Vintage
1864 in California.  It was one heck of a tourist draw and looked like a
wonderful fit for something that would get support from the community.
Chris Storhok, prior to his leaving for Fairbanks Alaska, felt it was a
complete fit for the County’s desires to see that sort of growth that kept
Moscow and Western Latah County rural.

Then the Naylor’s went to attempt to get a water right for what they
estimated would be 30-69 million gallons of water needed to drip irrigate,
wash a small amount of clay and mist the grapes in the high heat periods.

First, Idaho Department of Water Resources insisted that they apply for a
huge amount of water, equivalent to the highest possible water use in very
dry Southeastern Idaho.  The Naylor’s were shocked by the number that was
suggested and withdraw their initial request.  They then requested a total
based on a four month irrigation season for only the 199 acres.  IDWR still
insisted that they had to apply for the maximum water use which was 3 acre
feet of water for each of the 199 acres.  That was way more water than the
Naylor’s needed; in fact it was hundreds of millions of gallons of water
more than they needed.  And that kicked off a fire storm.

The Cities of Moscow and Pullman and the two Universities here on the
Palouse own the water rights to the bulk of our water.  In order to get
started, they required that geology work be done to show that the Naylor’s
could get any water at all on their Farm.  You see, after millions of
dollars of 'research', the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee (PBAC) which
actually solely represents those entities, the experts had mapped all of the
Naylor property as granite rock and therefore without the potential to
contain any water resource at all.  Having looked at the geology of the
farm, I knew that not to be the case.

They were required to do what no person has ever had to do in the History of
the State of Idaho, prove the existence of water prior to even drilling a
well to test that water.  Though it was not required by law, the Naylor’s
agreed to a Protocol to protect existing users that was more stringent than
any such agreement anywhere in the state.

But drilling the geology holes and doing trenching, mapping and the rest was
going to cost them a lot of money.  The expertise to do the ground work was
going to cost them close to $25,000 alone.  So they went to work on a shoe
string, asked me to help them by doing some work for free as a friend and
spent several years of their wheat receipts to try to get what PBAC wanted
them to have.

So holes were drilled and lo and behold, instead of hitting granite at a
depth of 30 feet, as had been predicted by certain geologists at PBAC,
Granite basement was at a depth of 470 feet and water was coming artisan
from the core holes.  But that suggested that the model under which the
Cities of Moscow and Pullman and the two Universities controlled all the
deep water of the region was wrong and that some other mechanism was at
play.

Normally under Idaho law, when protestors withdrawal their protest the
people who intervene on their behalf are instantly withdrawn.  In the case
of the Naylor’s, that did not happen.  As a matter of law, the Protestants
and the interveners have to have water rights which might be impacted.  Not
one of the interveners had a water right in play.  IDWR still let the
interveners in this case continue the legal action to block a water right by
Naylor.

And then the politics came hot and heavy.  The intervener groups claimed
that the Naylor’s wanted 2.4 Billion gallons of water, as much they said as
the city of Moscow and Pullman combined.  Bother that such a request if
actually carried out would have placed 38.4 feet of water over the top of
their farm, they had never requested that much water.  Even though PBAC
itself told the intervener groups and the newspaper and the rest that the
figure was wrong, it is still being trumpeted as what the Naylor’s asked
for.

Then of course, since the geologist who worked on the property for them
works for a minerals company in real life, the theory was that a giant
conspiracy was afoot by an evile mining company.  I did the work in my off
time, with my boss's permission, but there was no economic value on the
Naylor’s place that would make our company's level of interest. Though my
boss told all sources that we had no interest in the property, deep pockets
statements and inferences that this is all a mining company ploy, are still
being bruited about.

Then for fun, the interveners tried to have me jailed.  Idaho has a
licensing law for geologists.  That law exempts company staff geologists and
I have never bothered to get a license that has no meaning for my work.  So
I was turned in to the Idaho Board for the Registration of Professional
Geologists and criminal actions were commenced by the Latah County
Prosecutors offices against me.  Why?  I had worked against the interests of
the interveners and postulated a geology that they did not like.

At the same time that the interveners were attacking me for the lack of a
license, they proceeded to hire several geologists to refute the work that I
had done.  Trouble was that most of the people they hired or got involved in
their claims were not licensed and to top it off, they were not even exempt
as company staff geologist and had been avoiding registration for years.

After clearing me of wrong doing, the Idaho Board of the Registration of
Professional Geologists tried to get me to turn all the other people in.
Unlike the interveners, I do not try to send people who disagree with me to
jail.  I declined the opportunity.

Then the Naylor’s were granted an initial right to drill and test to see if
they could get the required water.  Further protests kicked up.  Further
hearings became required, though that is not common in Idaho law and has
never occurred once the protestors have withdrawn.

If you read the results of that hearing in Glen Saxton of IDWR's findings,
you wonder what planet we are on.  The Naylor’s are being told that to get a
water right, they need to prove before they drill a water well that a well
to test the presence of the amount of water on the property will have no
impact on any other water users.  How do you perform such a test if you can
not drill a well?

Then there is the geology that the finding has.  It does not recognize any
of the work carried out even by PBAC over the last 20 years.  It says that
we exist in a uniform single two unit basin.  Not one of the intervener’s
geologists suggested that in hearings, yet now it is a matter of record and
that has consequences.

You see, now that IDWR has ruled that there are only two aquifers and that
all roads lead to Moscow and Pullman, who are the senior water rights
holders in the Basin, all rural water belongs to them.  If WSU builds a new
golf course, fine, the water belongs to them.  If Moscow build a new park
and waters it with groundwater, fine, the water belongs to them.  If the
cities and the universities decide to piss water away, the Naylor ruling
gives them that right, because they own the water.

And the IDWR was not shy in telling you that.  They were quite specific that
their ruling on Naylor did not say that no additional water north of town
could be appropriated, they said that it could, just that the senior water
right holders own that water, not the people who own any of the land.

So the Naylor’s are back to the drawing boards and most likely will sell out
to the property developers who will build a raft of trophy homes north of
town and strip malls along the mile and a half of highway frontage that were
Naylor Farms.  That housing and those malls will end up using more water
than would have gone into the Naylor’s plan, but what the heck, it is all
within the plans of Moscow to expand to the north and keep control of all
rural water.  So years from now, when you drive past the Box stores and into
North Moscow Estates at the foot of Moscow Mountain, ask yourself what sort
of victory and at what price has been gained.

Did the Naylor’s screw up all along their path?  Yes they did.  People who
are not particularly schooled in this sort of thing doing work on a shoe
string tend to do that.  They were not well heeled and not part of a
standard minerals company who are used to dealing with permits or agencies
or any of the rest.  So the weight of governments and the whole community
fell on one family who were just trying to build a dream of keeping Grandpas
farm a farm.

And for some of you here on Vision2020, a warning.  Mary Jane Butters
operation is an organic farm which drip irrigates and supplies you’re Coop.
Mary Jane Farms does not have a permit or water right to use irrigation
water.  Following the Naylor ruling, the City of Moscow has the right to
demand that drip irrigation on that Mary Jane Farms be terminated.  The same
is true for the rest of you who use your domestic water for irrigation of
crops.  The law is pretty specific, domestic water may only be used for a
house and for a quarter acre of lawn as a maximum.  Irrigating commercial
crops, organic or not, is not covered.  Moscow, Pullman and the Two
Universities were just granted the right to turn off the water, after all,
with the Naylor ruling, they own it.