[Vision2020] Domenstic Benefits?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 08:01:25 PDT 2005

Phil,

It appears we agree and disagree on a few things.

First you ask, "Why is there a benefit for people
simple because they happen to be sharing the same
bedroom?"

The political answer to this is because married
couples with children vote, whereas singles do not.
Therefore politicians write the laws to give them free
crap, like single people's money.

There is also the business answer. It is cheaper to
give Mommy and Daddy benefits through collective
bargaining with a health insurance company than to
give them cash. Benefits are also enticements for
employment.

Next, there is the religious reason. Couples that pop
out babies like a broken spastic vending machines are
doing good for society and the church, and thus are
morally superior to everyone else.

Finally, there is the societal reason. We must provide
the best environment we can for children because they
are our future, and taking your money is the best way
to accomplish that goal.

"Those who suggest that marriage is one man and one
woman and deserve benefits are doing so based on the
premise that this is about kids,"

I do not think that this is the only premise. People
that have kids vote. That is why they get the goods.
If it was about children in general, 50% of those in
poverty in this country would not be children.

If heterosexual couples get benefits for sharing a
life, why should homosexual couples not get the same
benefits as heterosexuals?

To me, this translates to less pay for the same work.
If a married man with kids gets his premium of $150 a
month paid by a company, but the gay guy only gets a
$50 premium paid because he is with a man, instead of
a woman, that is $100 less a month in compensation he
is getting because of sexual orientation that has
nothing to do with the job. In essence, they are
saying if you are gay, you get punished, if you are
heterosexual, you get rewarded.

Bottom-line here is, do not give gay people one set of
rules, benefits, and compensation and straight people
another set of rules, benefits, and compensation.

Treating Gay people less is just the same as treating
women, Blacks, and Hispanics as less. The city of
Moscow needs to stop discrimination of the LGBT
community.

Donovan J Arnold