[Vision2020] The Face of Moscow

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jul 31 10:12:56 PDT 2005

>From today's (July 31, 2005) Lewiston tribune with a special thanks to Joan
"Auntie Establishment" Opyr.

The face of Moscow

Tom Henderson advised the residents of Moscow to "quit picking on Doug
Wilson" [editorial, July 26].  Why?  If the persistent among us stop
pointing out the one thousand and one ways in which Doug Wilson has
consistently and persistently flouted the rule of law, is there a chance
that we might drive him to eat worms and die?  If so, then, we'll all be
sorry that we "picked on" him.

Poor, picked-upon Doug Wilson.  Please.  It is Wilson who picks on Moscow,
Mr. Henderson.  He has picked on Moscow consistently for nearly two decades.
He chose it as the site for his "New Oxford," his Anglocentric dream of a
small town dominated by a single church, not to mention that church's
college, its cathedral, its vanity press, its magazine and, lest we forget,
its ministers appalling, loudly expressed and always published views about
slavery, feminism, homosexuality, his proposed denial of voting rights of
nonproperty owners and a host of other issues. . . .

Whether we like it or not, Doug Wilson has become the face of Moscow
nationally, and quite a large number of us don't like that.  We think it's
bad for our community.  Funny, foolish, ignorant us, good thing we have
Lewiston-based opinion columnists to set us straight.

Now, let me set you straight.  You observe, erroneously, Mr. Henderson, that
rosemary Huskey and Saundra Lund have attempted to interfere with Wilson's
planned communion service at the UI Kibbie Dome.  It is true that Huskey and
Lund have pointed out that alcohol is forbidden at campus events without
special waiver or permit.  Are you suggesting that other groups should be
obliged to apply for that permit, but that Doug Wilson should for some
unknown reason get a free pass simply because he is Doug Wilson?  That's
what we're tired of here in Moscow, the Doug Wilson free pass. . . .

Joan Opyr
Moscow

Very well said, Joan, and thank you.

Don't forget to tune in the "Auntie Establishment and Brother Carl Show"
every Sunday evening at 5:00 PM on Radio Free Moscow, KRFP, 92.5 FM.

If, for some reason, you are unable to reach your radio dial at that time,
no need to fret.  The show will be recorded and posted at:

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Auntie_Establishment_and_Brother_Carl/

Until then . . .

Take care, Moscow.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)