[Vision2020] questions for Roy Atwood

Bill London london at moscow.com
Wed Jul 27 11:27:31 PDT 2005

The documentary film My Town will be shown again at the Kenworthy on Thursday.  Anyone who wants a fuller understanding of the issues involved in the New Saint Andrews zoning complaints or other public controversies about Doug Wilson should go and see this movie.

I have seen it twice and won't be going again, but I do have a few questions for Roy Atwood, head of New Saint Andrews, who will be part of a panel discussing the movie afterward (see the press release below). BL

Roy Atwood:
1. You have been quoted in the press as pledging that New St. Andrews will not be growing, but your school recently hired Bob Hieronymous to head its fundraising and advancement program (as he had done before for the UI).  If NSA is not planning on growing, why hire someone whose job is to build endowments and enrollments?
2. What other downtown buildings would NSA like to purchase?
3. Do you and your faculty agree with Doug Wilson's views about slavery?
4. Do you have a plan or goal of ending the drag shows and other public gay-oriented events at the Beach building?

On Thursday, July 28 at 7:00 PM, the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre will hold an encore showing of the film, "My Town".  The 70 minute film by Washington State University Associate Professor, Michael Hayes focuses on the cultural clash in Moscow involving Christ Church Pastor Doug Wilson.

In the film Hayes includes interviews with Wilson, his brother Evan Wilson, New St. Andrews College President Roy Atwood, as well as community representatives including JoAnn Muneta, Bill London, and Rosemary Huskey. Hayes also includes film of Wilson's history conference and the controversy regarding Wilson's pamphlet, "Southern Slavery As It Was."

The screening will be followed by a panel discussion including Roy Atwood, President of New Saint Andrews College; Joe Keim Campbell, WSU Professor of Philosophy; Barbara  Richardson Crouch, Director of the Latah Economic Development Council; and Dean Stewart, Pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. The roundtable discussion will be moderated by Jack Miller, UI Professor of Law.

Tickets are $5, general admission and $3, seniors and students.  Proceeds from the screening will benefit the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre.

For more information, call 208-882-4127.