[Vision2020] Illegal underage alcohol, anyone?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 21:23:03 PDT 2005

Ted

Please, the reality is that cut and paste is hardly what dialogue is all
about.  You obviously got ideas to comment on from my posting and that is
what we are here to do.

I asked you if the reason you were so anti-alcohol was related to any other
agenda or if you were simply bent on a society free of all chemical
dependencies.  In 1919 we tried to deal with a total prohibition which
turned out to be less than desirable in its consequences.  Surely that
suggests that even without advertizing from 1919-1933 the consumption of
very illegal alcohol did not fall.

And yes, Ted, there are pretty good studies which have taken a strong look
at the reasons for the American cultural attitudes and compared them to
European ones with respect to wine and beer.  Yes we have a problem that the
people in Europe do not and its not related to how much beer and wine
advertizing there is.  The festivals in Germany and France are large and
well attended, but do not result in the kinds of behaviors that happen here
in the states.  I lived 9 and a half years in Europe and from my own
experiances have seen the differences.

You also seem to be focused on Tobbaco and seem to see it as a giant
corporate conspiracy.  Since 40-60% of the price of a pack of smokes is
owned by the government, why exactly is it that its not a government
conspiracy?  As was said of the Nixon campaign funds, all you have to do is
follow the money trail and for cigs, that trail leads right to the hands of
the government, the entity that makes the bulk of the profits from each pack
of smokes sold.  Smokers in Idaho, just for an example, put $150,000 a day
into the hands of the general revenue.  Drinkers put a bunch more in sin
taxes into the non-drinkers hands.  Every time there is a stop gap needed
for budget shortfalls, bingo, the price of beer, wine, booze and smokes goes
up.  Big Tobbaco makes some serious money, but government makes ten times
what they do.

So Mr Wilson seems to hate the sin of Homosexuality.  You and some of the
others seem to hate the sin of smoking and drinking.  Please let me know,
but as a libertarian, who exactly is it that I am supposed to think is the
ultimate evile?  Which civil liberty of mine am I supposed to be more
concerned with?

Phil Nisbet