[Vision2020] Yesterday's INKster column

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 23 14:43:35 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

I'm forwarding a letter to the editor I wrote yesterday regarding an error in the INKster column.  I want to make it clear that the fact that this incorrect information was published in the Daily News is *not* the fault of Vera White.  I called Vera early yesterday morning, and she called her editors at the Daily News.  They assured Vera that the item in question would be pulled before the paper went to press.  Unfortunately, it was not.

I am posting this correction to the list for those of you who don't read the Daily News.

Sincerely,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com

Editor
Moscow-Pullman Daily News
July 22nd, 2005

As the Daily News was informed Friday morning, before the paper went to press, New West Magazine (www.newwest.net) will not be co-sponsoring the Kenworthy's July 28th showing of Michael Hayes' documentary "My Town."  New West had arranged some weeks ago to be sole sponsor of the film, paying all associated advertising costs.  However, New St. Andrews College President Roy Atwood made co-sponsorship with Credenda Agenda Magazine (www.credenda.org) a condition of his agreeing to be on the after-film discussion panel.  This arrangement was unacceptable to the owners of New West Magazine, who justly believed that a business arrangement with the Kenworthy was already firmly in place for sole sponsorship of the film.

I am the Northern Idaho Editor for New West Magazine.  However, I speak only for myself when I say that I believe it was both unprofessional and discourteous for the Kenworthy to negotiate co-sponsorship of the film with Credenda Agenda and then attempt to renegotiate with New West.  Magazines, like people, have the right to pick and choose their associates.  The Kenworthy attempted to abridge that right and, in the process, placed New West in an untenable position.

As a consequence, the Kenworthy has damaged its reputation and lost a valuable sponsor.

Joan Opyr