[Vision2020] Re: A E. Kirsten Peters article thread

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Jul 21 12:00:55 PDT 2005

Phil,

All good questions. The basic premise that all uses should be allowed
with performance conditions attached is simply unworkable in local
government. You know what the level of staffing is at the county
level and what their skill levels/expertise are. Staffing up for
POSSIBLE reviews on POTENTIAL applications under a performance review
standard just doesn't work.

The other problem with performance standards is that they are
extremely difficult to write to capture all the possible concerns.
Take a hypothetical:

"All mining activities shall demonstrate prior to the start of
activities that they shall not create a significant adverse effect on
existing groundwater users."

Makes sense. I've even used the word "significant" instead of "no effect".

Three immediate problems with the language: what is significant, who
are the existing groundwater users and how do you demonstrate?

I truly believe that after we've done the boring funded by IDWR and
mapped it out, we'll have a much better idea of where the meaningful
recharge pathways lie and the ordinance can be modified, but until
then, I don't believe it's  worth what would be an extraordinary
effort to attempt defining performance standards for what will always
be a minor use in the sub-basin. And that's without getting into what
is IDL's reserved authorities and what the county could do if it
wished to. There is that nasty "Right to Mine" law that prohibits
local government from enacting performance standards that are
stricter than the state's.

Mark