Apology:Re: [Vision2020] Ted on the Virtues Project

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:42:53 PDT 2005

Ted

Excellent post.  Teaching civic virtues is something that would classify as
things that would not bring up particular religious views and those are
perhaps those things which are indeed worthy of inclusion outside the venue
of virtues taught as comparative religion.

On one of your earlier postings you noted that certain genetic traits are
not universal, but tend to be spread in terms of behavioral characteristics
to insure survival of a species under variable ecological conditions.  Its
would be possible to engineer a universal traits set from a species that
would result in a clone like response to stimulas, but that would reduce the
survivability of the species so engineered.

Culling selected virtues into a universalist format looks deceptively like
engineering to create mind sets similar to the above example.  My concern is
that such engineering on a social scale is grand if the environment were set
piece and unchangable, but just as species need to be diverse to protect
from extinction in the real and ever changing environment, social structures
need to be diverse in order to adapt and cope with the uncertainty of the
real and very changable world in which we live.

Phil Nisbet