[Vision2020] Crossing party lines (was "I can't resist")

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 12:12:37 PDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Pat Kraut wrote:

> "I crossed over party lines to vote for Gary
> Schroeder, and I encouraged other Democrats to do so."
> Have you thought about how Reps might feel about this?? How would you
> feel
> about 'your' candidate being so liked by the other party?? Wouldn't
> that
> make you feel uncomfortable with that candidates actual message??
> I know it has mine.
> PK

No, Pat, I haven't and I don't.  You see, once he's in office, Gary
Schroeder represents the whole of Latah County, not just the Latah
County GOP.  Ideally, President George W. Bush represents the whole of
the United States and not just the national Republican Party; or, to be
more specific, not just the radical right-wing of the national
Republican Party.  Have you never heard of the so-called Reagan
Democrats?  Or the McCain Democrats?  What about the Howard Dean
Republicans?  Do you resent those Democrats who crossed party lines in
the Presidential election to vote for Mr. Bush?  I believe they put him
over the top in states like Ohio -- without them, you'd now be saluting
President John Kerry.

BTW, "my candidates" have often been "liked" by the opposition.  Cecil
Andrus had to have won a significant number of GOP votes to have been
elected governor of Idaho what was it, three, four times?  I will
continue to cross party lines when the candidate in question is someone
I can fully and honestly support.  Why?  Not because I agree with
everything Gary Schroeder says or does but because personal integrity
is ultimately more important to me than party affiliation.  Go figure;
I'm not a lock-step toady.  Hell, if the Democrats run someone I can't
support in 2008, I may find myself voting for John McCain.  (I'm
praying, of course, for Barack Obama.  Obama and Feinstein.  That's the
ticket!)

Quick, someone, call 911!  I expect Pat will now need the kiss of life.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com