[Vision2020] Logging in Robinson Lake Park

melyndahuskey at earthlink.net melyndahuskey at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 22:26:34 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries--

Can anyone share information on the logging in Robinson Lake Park?  There's a sign saying that it's being logged for a Latah County timber sale, and it looks like the whole area around the amphitheater.  They also seem to have marked a lot of live trees, more than timber management alone would justify.

Of course, we know the county's finances aren't exactly healthy--the branches of the public library outside Moscow are threatened with closing or drastically reduced hours, for example.  But are timber sales the best option?  Of course, I have to wonder whether the businesses in downtown Moscow currently enjoying the opportunity to make money tax-free might not help alleviate the burden levied on less powerful and wealthy citizens out in the county by paying their fair share, instead of expecting everyone else to pick up their slack.

Melynda Huskey