[Vision2020] I can't resist . . .

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 14:40:32 PDT 2005

PPS: I was just going to ignore this, but I find that I can't.  Being
lectured by Phil Nisbet on "rolling up my sleeves" and trying to get
along with others is like being lectured by a Spokane drunk on why I
should pay a visit to "Beans and Rice and Jesus Christ."  Spare me your
moralizing, Phil; you've bitten off more heads than Ozzy Osborne.  I am
happy to work with many people whose politics are quite different from
mine.  Tom Trail, Jon Kimberling, Gary Schroeder . . . I have
corresponded with and met with each of them.  Our meetings were cordial
(and in some cases downright friendly), and I have expressed more than
just a desire to roll up my sleeves; I've done so.  In last year's
Republican Primary, I crossed over party lines to vote for Gary
Schroeder, and I encouraged other Democrats to do so.  That was not
toeing the party line.  That was begging for trouble.  Do I think I did
the right thing?  Yes.  Has it worked out as I'd planned?  No.  The
perfidious jackasses who run the GOP in Boise promptly stabbed Gary in
the back, removing him as Chair of the Senate Education Committee.
Damn them for a load of stinking Brutuses.  (Or is that Brutii?)

It might surprise you to learn that I've met with representatives of
Christ Church -- one memorable evening back in December of 2003, I
spent more than four hours (over at least that many pitchers of beer)
chatting with Ben Merkle, Nate Wilson, Doug's daughters and Doug's
daughter-in-law, Heather, about "Southern Slavery: As It Was."  We were
cordial to one another, but we were obliged to agree to disagree.
Despite their repeated assertions that if I were just to meet with Doug
and listen to one of his compelling disquisitions about his beliefs
regarding the rights of women, property owners, and who should and
should not be allowed to vote, I would be bound "to see things his
way," I declined.  I've read Doug's work.  I've read his books and his
articles in Credenda Agenda, and I've listened to quite of a few of his
sermons, which are available online.  I know what Doug thinks, and I
know what I think, and never the twain shall meet.  As Andreas Schou
pointed out during the question-and-answer session at the June 23rd
showing of "My Town," there is no middle ground between stoning and not
stoning, and exile is not acceptable to me.  (Where should we gays and
lesbians and apostates re-locate, Bovill?  Do you think they're ready
for us?  Before I move, I want The Red Door and Bookpeople to precede
me.  Then, perhaps, I'd be happy.)

Now, Phil, I challenge you to name a single occasion on which you have
productively engaged with "the opposition."  Prepare yourself, though,
as I'll be contacting POW and the PWCN to confirm that you were
genuinely productive and that your professed willingness to set aside
petty differences and work with others has not been greatly
exaggerated.

(Ha.)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com