[Vision2020] It's alive, alive!

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 21:53:37 PDT 2005

Lately in this space, Phil Nisbet and others have pronounced downtown
Moscow dead-on-arrival.  It's coded, flat-lined, do not resuscitate.
Well, I don't know where Phil is shopping, but the Main Street I visit
is not only alive but lively.  I wait in line for coffee at the One
World Cafe.  I wait in line for scones at Wheatberries.  I wait to buy
my books at Bookpeople; I wait to buy my gyros at Mikey's, and I wait
to buy bright, sharp, and dangerous objects at Moscow Pawn.  (Sharp and
dangerous objects are a weakness of mine.  It all started with my sharp
and dangerous tongue.)

As for other downtown businesses, Hodgins' Drug Store is my kids' idea
of heaven; the Moscow School of Massage ($25 for one hour) is mine.
Gem State Crystals, HyperSpud, Now and Then, and Wild Women Traders are
all terrific shops with interesting and attractive products.  I eat
regularly at the Red Door, Moscow's finest restaurant, and I buy the
bulk of my lovely and fashionable wardrobe at Goodwill.

I am never the only customer in a downtown shop, not even on my
infrequent visits to Falling Moon Tattoo and Piercing Studio.  Doug
Wilson has sneered that no matter what happens to NSA, the Skattaboe
Building will not become a tattoo parlor.  What a shame!  I remember
when Falling Moon was just a couple of shabby rooms above US Bank; now,
they're in the old "Laura's Tea and Treasures" shop.  I think they'd
fill the Skattaboe quite nicely -- and I'd just like to point out that
they did a lovely job on the silhouette of Nancy Drew that rides
shotgun on my right biceps.  The Garden Lounge, Falling Moon, and the
Moscow Chamber of Commerce seems a far more sensible line-up than The
Garden Lounge, New St. Andrews College, and the Moscow Chamber of
Commerce.  But that was the point of zoning for a Central Business
District, wasn't it?  To locate like uses in like districts?  Yes, I
realize that some of you, like Doug, look down your long noses at a
downtown tattoo parlor, but the owners of Falling Moon are successful
entrepreneurs.  What's more, when folks like me are done having daring,
titian-haired sleuths tattooed upon our arms, we often pop out to buy a
cup of coffee or a nice book or a tie-dyed T-shirt.  Downtown business
begets downtown business.

Yes, Moscow is suffering from a certain malaise.  Morale at the
University is so low, no wise-cracks about crawling under the bellies
of pregnant snakes or the faculty having to carry around umbrellas in
case the ants try to pee on them would be funny or in any way alleviate
the tension on campus.  We're beyond the joking stage.  It's clear that
the State Board of Education and its masters in Boise plan over time to
cherry-pick the best of UI's programs -- engineering, the law school --
and leave us with a glorified community college.  This is no excuse to
lie down in the grave Boise has dug, much less begin pulling the dirt
down on our heads.  We must organize as a community to fight the UI's
death by attrition, and we must prepare to fight hard.  The odds are
surely against us, but our task is not impossible.  Moscow has much to
offer -- and one of the most important is a lively and attractive
downtown.  The kiss of death would be to surrender our downtown to
poor-zoning decisions and to the consequent attrition before we've even
begun to fight.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com