[Vision2020] Responsible for Moscow's Homosexual Sin: Evangelical Free, Bridge Bible Church, Trinity Baptist, Church of the Nazarene, Christian Life Center

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Jul 10 13:01:05 PDT 2005

Dearest New Man,

I have some burning theological questions.

Since you are obviously among the great authorities on the meaning of the Bible (And who knows?  You may even be God's attorney here on earth and in her/his/its confidence), perhaps you will dutifully comment on the following:

Assume a Christ Church Cult member who is an attorney writes material like that which Brandon Steele posted recently (copy below), and which clearly states and urges/demands strict adherence to God's rules about marriage.  (I call your attention to the last paragraph:)

"Marriage is ordained by God, not man, and we are not free to tinker with its
creation or dissolution in an effort to modify it to fit our arbitrary
standards of what a marriage should be. It is not primarily a loving, caring
and nurturing relationship which can be had by pairings other than husband
and wife, nor is it a haven for family values. It is fundamentally a picture
of Christ's relationship to and interaction with His Church (Eph. 5:22-32).
While that marriage can never be dissolved because its head is perfect,
divorce is allowed among men because of our hardness of heart (Mark 10:2-9).
Of course no-fault divorce laws should be repealed and repented of. When the
marriage covenant is broken, it is a recognition that one of the spouses has
committed grievous sin. Someone really incurs moral blame. The civil
magistrate, as God's minister, has a duty to require that people honor the
marriage covenant as God ordained it."

Where does a person who might write material such as this stand with God when his actions are diametrically opposed to what he has loudly represented/proclaimed as God's Law and has demanded of others strict allegiance thereto?

Suppose, after writing as above (and below), he then divorces his ill and pregnant wife.  Suppose he even schedules a remarriage before the issue of the pregnancy arrives and then reschedules so as to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Will not God see such a man as the worst of the lying hypocrites?  When this man asks for forgiveness, will God forgive him knowing of his horrific insincerity -- especially with his hypocritical crowing about and insistence upon God's word but deliberately acting to the contrary?  What sin could be worse?  How could God believe that his plea for forgiveness is really sincere?

Suppose this man has charted this grossly, shamefully impious course with the connivance and consent of his pastor?  Will the pastor fare any better with God at end times?  Are they both now condemned to hell for their knowingly and willfully leading others astray from God's path while using God's words for their own personal, vainglorious gain?

On the secular side:

[1]  What person in their right mind would hire as an attorney one who has done such a dishonest, dishonorable, hypocritical thing?  Who could trust them with their confidences?  Who could believe in their integrity?

[2]  Does not the writings below and the subsequent actions of the author suggest that he may be in very dire need of a competent mental health practitioner?

[3]  And how will the new wife feel and fare, knowing that despite his alleged passionate religiosity, he cruelly ripped his previous marriage asunder because his former wife incurred his displeasure?

My dearest New Man, please bless us by giving us God's answer to the above questions!  (Also, please use a larger font so that those of us who are old and of dimmed vision can have the benefit of your wisdom.)

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

"Guilty Marriages," a work by Gregory Dickison

As this is a bridal issue, it seemed good to write about the civil
government's role in marriage. That's why this article is on divorce. No
bridal issue would be complete without an article on divorce. Even in our
day, there is no more solemn covenant entered among men than marriage. Yet
the civil government has made it the easiest covenant to break.

Prior to 1969, the law took a fairly biblical view of marriage. It was a
covenant between a man and a woman to take each other as husband and wife
(the biblical definition of marriage was assumed by the statutes), which
could be solemnized by a judge, a magistrate, the governor, a mayor, or a
"priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination."[1] In other words, a
minister of God. Annulments (making the marriage void ab initio) could only
generally be granted if one of the spouses was already married, was
incapable of giving consent, or if consent was obtained by fraud.[2] Married
couples could only be divorced for reasons that were considered to be
violations of the covenant: adultery, extreme physical or mental cruelty,
wilful desertion, the husband's negligent failure to provide for his wife,
or habitual intemperance which prevents the spouse from attending to
business or causes great mental anguish.[3] These causes could not simply be
asserted by a spouse. In order to obtain a divorce, the conduct had to be
proven. The biblical roots of these statutes are evident. There is an
amazing affinity between pre-1969 divorce laws and Chapter 24 of the
Westminster Confession of Faith.

The modern concept of "no-fault" divorce has been with us less than 30
years.[4] In 1969, then-governor of California Ronald Reagan (the great
savior of the family) signed the first law taking the concept of covenant
breaking out of divorce. Forty-five states followed suit within the next
five years, and all 50 states currently have some type of no-fault divorce
statute.[5] While most state codes still contain the "old" causes of action,
they have been rendered dead letters by the no-fault provisions.

Typically, these laws use the phrase "irreconcilable differences."
Irreconcilable differences are "those grounds which are determined by the
court to be substantial reasons for not continuing the marriage and which
make it appear that the marriage should be dissolved."[6] Obviously, this
can mean anything, and that was exactly the intent of the law. Unlike the
old system, a spouse need not offer any specific proof as to what the
irreconcilable differences are. They simply need to be asserted, and the
divorce will be granted. Even over the protestations of the other spouse.
With the advent of no-fault divorce, the marriage contract became the
easiest legal contract to break. No other agreement between men could be
broken with less formality or fewer legal consequences. The expressed design
of no-fault divorce law was "to promote harmony and reduce fighting,"[7]
particularly where children were involved (as if harmony can be increased in
a process that is, by definition, inharmonious). But critics of the no-fault
system counter that the actual result was an increase in the divorce rate
and a casual and irresponsible attitude toward marriage and divorce. A move
is currently underway in several states to repeal the no-fault statutes and
return the concept of culpability to divorce.

Both sides of the debate are stacking up pragmatic arguments and waving the
family values flag. The "no-faulters" claim that the statistical correlation
between the divorce rate and no-fault statutes is negligible if not tenuous,
that laws can't force people to stay together, that the costs of divorce
will rise as spouse's spend more time litigating blame, that children will
be caught in the middle of open war, and that if divorce is not readily
available then people will opt to live together without matrimony rather
than make a binding commitment. The "faulters" respond that no-fault laws
have caused the divorce rate to skyrocket, that repealing them will
encourage a greater sense of responsibility and commitment, that couples
will have more incentive to work their problems out, and that the war over
children rages on just as much now when deciding custody matters, and is no
harder on them than the ultimate consequences of the divorce. Engaging these
battles on pragmatic grounds have caused the real point of the war to be
missed.